Sunday, September 03, 2006

 

A Writer

What does it mean to be a writer? According to Webster’s New World Dictionary, it means, “one who writes, esp. as an occupation; author.” Is this definition complete? Or does it merely glance at the tip of the mountain while missing out on the mass that lies below? In this short essay, I would like to delve into the question first posed. A writer… is there more to it than, “one who writes?” It seems to me that there is more to that definition, much more.

A writer is one who lives, one who dances, one who dreams, one who creates, one who spies on the world and its inhabitants. She is one who sings the song of the world through the written word. He is one who reflects the echo of the universe in all of its vastness and yet simplifies it for the common reader. She can be technical if need be, and yet as simple as a baby’s first babble.

A writer is one who feels humanity’s joys and sorrows simultaneously. A writer has an ocean-deep canyon of ideas springing up from within. He has a passion that can not be quenched. She loves to absorb life’s details from the people around her, and yet she needs the silence of nature to ground her.

Is this beginning to capture the essence of what it means to be a writer? Is your heart beating faster as you long to add your own words to my definition? Is your heart always longing for an outlet to express yourself? Then, you too are a writer.

Comments:
Well said - from one writer to another!

Thanks for all of your comments on my posts - I appreciate them. As soon as I can escape my day job to go back to freelancing full time I will make more time to read other blogs and work on my own. In the meantime, just because I don't take time to comment on yours does not mean I'm not a fan. Keep up the good work!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?