Friday, October 06, 2006

 

A Watched Pot Never Boils

The old adage, “A watched pot never boils” is so applicable to my life right now. I am due to deliver our third child any day now; at my last prenatal appointment (three days ago) I measured three and a half centimeters dilated and was eighty percent effaced. So, naturally since this is my third pregnancy, I assumed I was very close. So, like a track athlete awaiting the starter pistol, I have been nervously anticipating the start of my labor contractions. My mom even came the night of my doctor’s appointment, just in case, and I have been expectant each day and night just wondering when labor is going to start. But, as the saying so aptly implies, I have been watching the pot and it has not started boiling. It’s a strange feeling to wait for something as momentous as giving birth…for if it is not scheduled, it really is something quite out of one’s control. My three-year-old son tackled my tummy today, which made me wonder if I would go into labor, but I did not. Generally, it’s something that just has to start on its own.

This issue of waiting makes me ponder some of life’s deeper issues as well. Specifically, three applicable aspects regarding this concept of suspension come to mind: 1) the healing process, 2) the unknown, and 3) God’s completion in us. With regards to the first topic, I find a parallel between wanting to be healed from a past or current hurt and that of waiting for labor to start. It’s something I can’t really control since it has to be God’s healing touch on my heart in HIS perfect timing. Likewise, it is something that is painful and yet necessary in order to develop greater depth and fruit in my own life. I need to be healed, but must work through the pain and surrender the timing of the healing over to God.

Regarding the second matter, I find waiting for answers to the unknown unnerving; for example, it is very difficult for me to wait for the revelation of future plans that God has for me and my family. I literally feel as if I’m watching a pot that refuses to boil. The water is in the pot; the salt has been added. The lid is on…and yet all the preparation results in more waiting. It’s sometimes as if the flame is not turned on, but in truth it is burning brightly. The fact is simply that the unknown has not yet been revealed and that it will not be revealed until its proper time. This too is frequently like labor in its significance, for many unknowns are life-altering. For example, my husband’s career search will likely demand change upon our family, such as the possibility of selling our home and moving our family elsewhere. Simultaneously, the waiting time can be painful, if not physically, then certainly emotionally.

Lastly, awaiting God’s completed work in us can be so unsettling. We ponder, “When will I be fully patient, kind, loving, trusting, etc.?” amongst a plethora of other Christ-like attributes. This process of waiting to be fully transformed into the image of Christ can also seem reminiscent of awaiting labor. It’s painful to struggle in our walks with the Lord as we long to be closer to the end goal than we currently are. We want to be where we can not yet be…and just like when one is waiting to go into labor, we too must wait for Christ’s finishing work in us. This too can cause us pain, but the reward at the other end is eternal life.

Honestly, after pondering these ideas, I must admit that I am still feeling quite apprehensive about the next few days and about when this little girl of mine is going to enter our world; however, it has been good to process some of my thoughts and concerns and to parallel some other reflections that I am simultaneously working through. I hope that you are encouraged by this post to wait upon God for all things in your life, though they be painful or simply unknown. For HE is omniscient and all-loving and has your best interest in mind, as HE does mine. This post serves as a very good reminder to me. I think upon the verse Isaiah 40:31, “Those that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength; they will mount up with wings as eagles. They will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.” Let’s wait upon God together and encourage each other along the journey. Blessings and peace to you, my fellow bloggers.

Comments:
J,D,J,&G:

We're waiting anxiously with you and praying for your health, safety, and peacefulness. (The Russian word for "peaceful" is in fact really pretty and we think about it when I think of y'all: "spaKOILnye"). We're watching your posts like hawks!

--Matt & Kinz

p.s. Thought you'd like to know what "mariposa" is in Russian: "babochka" (only a few letters different from "BABooskha", which means grandmother!)
 
Dianne,

Waiting is such a hard thing! I am excited about the coming arrival of Katelyn, and I pray that God would give you peace in this time of watching and waiting.

Love,
Amy
 
Today one area of waiting is over! I am so excited and so blessed to have been able to help in the little ways I could! I can't wait to meet your precious angel and see her beauty for myself!

I'm waiting in other areas just as you are! It's one thing we have desperately in common that I know I didn't realize until recently. I know now that I can pray for you and tell you, honestly, that I know how you feel.

Can't wait to see you and the precious little one when you're ready!

Lots of Love, Alicai
 
Dear Dianne,

Yes, if there is anything that God tends to bring up during pregnancy and pre-delivery, it's the theme of waiting! However.....as I write this, Katelyn has arrived, and our whole family sends you lots of love and well wishes!

love,

Carole
 
Heard you are no longer waiting . . .welcome to the world Katelyn! I look forward to meeting you in a couple of months. We'd love to see pictures of Katelyn on the blog and maybe of Jake in his glasses (I bet he looks precious).

-Makinzie
 
Dearest Di, Josh, Jake & Grace,
Sooooooooooo glad your new little Katy has arrived and is home at last!

Love,
Mom
 
Dearest Di, Josh, Jake & Grace,
Sooooooooooo glad your new little Katy has arrived and is home at last!

Love,
Mom
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?