Thursday, January 25, 2007
Perspective
While out walking the other day, I was met with a beautiful sight. I was at the top of a hill and looked out to see the mountaintops in the distance. The lower points of the mountains were hidden in the clouds and the early morning sun revealed a fresh, crisp panorama. From the lower points, it would have been impossible to appreciate this view in its fullness. It reminded me of how life is like that at times too. We lack perspective when we are in the valley, but when we are up high, we can see things more clearly, and perhaps with a more appreciative mindset. It’s not that we’re at fault when times are tough and we hesitate to see the potential in a situation or in another person; however, we miss out on the good things in life if we don’t look to the higher ground. For example, when my husband and I are struggling through marital issues, as all couples do, if we look only to each other’s faults and not to the other’s potential strengths, we miss out on the good that the other person has to offer.
It’s odd how much perspective plays a role in our lives. It seems at times like I will forever be a stay-at-home mom trapped in my house with unending laundry piles, dishes to clean, diapers to change, and numerous other repetitive tasks. But, in truth, I know this time is precious and that I will blink and look back while my kids are graduating from high school, wondering, “Where did the time go?” Again, perspective plays a huge role in how I appreciate my current state. If I look at someone with older kids who are moving out of the house, I would think myself a fool for belly-aching over my have-to-dos right now.
When we walk knowing that we are living for eternity, we are given the best perspective of all. What we do with each day either counts for something or for nothing. This seems so obvious, but it’s something we readily miss in our day to day busyness. We either do things or interact in such a way that is productive for heaven or we do things for temporary gain. I think this applies even to the menial tasks, such as house-keeping and diaper-changing. I say this, because we can complete even the required chores with attitudes of love and thankfulness, rather than obligation and exhaustion. This might seem silly to say, but for example, while doing the fourth load of laundry of the day, I might feel like, “Why can’t they wash their own clothes for once?” or I can be thankful that I have a husband and three beautiful kids, whom I get to serve. Once more, it’s about perspective. While cooking and cleaning in the kitchen, I might resent that I am preparing the twenty-first meal of the week, or I can be thankful for how my husband and kids are benefiting from my (usually) nourishing meals.
I am reminded of this in a humorous way when I think of how I feel blessed to hold my infant’s full diaper. Changing diapers is no fun, that’s for sure, but I feel thankful when my daughter’s diaper is overflowing because it reminds me that she is eating well and that she is gaining weight. Likewise, when my kids outgrow their clothes, requiring me to buy new ones, it makes me feel gracious to the Lord that He has provided my kids with good health.
Sometimes, it is hard to see things with a healthy perspective. When a close friend’s baby is stillborn, how can you see God’s goodness? When a brother attempts suicide, how can you feel God’s touch? It is hard to see God’s hand in such sorrowful incidents; however, we know that “… in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28). For you, it might be a horrific lay-off at work or a sickness in your family. Maybe you are facing a move that is frightening or a change in your life that is emotionally unsettling. Don’t worry if your heart is heavy and you are lacking in perspective, for God’s word states, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33). Furthermore, the next verse states, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
By seeing things with God’s perspective, we are seeing things with an eternal perspective. I aim to see my life through God’s filter, which means that I take things in stride and remember that He is in control. When I feel like I am in the valley and the mountains are covered in clouds, I will remember that God sees higher than I and that the mountaintops are above me. I want to be more loving to my husband and to see his flaws through Christ’s forgiving eyes. I want my perspective to be more eternal and to focus on his strengths that come from Christ. Furthermore, when I am surrounded by tedium, I will think of how my service honors the Lord because I am taking care of the family He has blessed me with. And when I am faced with tragedy or the unknown, I will try to turn my gaze to Christ for His perspective, that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). I hope you too will cling to Christ’s truths and that you and your family will be shaped by His perspective.
It’s odd how much perspective plays a role in our lives. It seems at times like I will forever be a stay-at-home mom trapped in my house with unending laundry piles, dishes to clean, diapers to change, and numerous other repetitive tasks. But, in truth, I know this time is precious and that I will blink and look back while my kids are graduating from high school, wondering, “Where did the time go?” Again, perspective plays a huge role in how I appreciate my current state. If I look at someone with older kids who are moving out of the house, I would think myself a fool for belly-aching over my have-to-dos right now.
When we walk knowing that we are living for eternity, we are given the best perspective of all. What we do with each day either counts for something or for nothing. This seems so obvious, but it’s something we readily miss in our day to day busyness. We either do things or interact in such a way that is productive for heaven or we do things for temporary gain. I think this applies even to the menial tasks, such as house-keeping and diaper-changing. I say this, because we can complete even the required chores with attitudes of love and thankfulness, rather than obligation and exhaustion. This might seem silly to say, but for example, while doing the fourth load of laundry of the day, I might feel like, “Why can’t they wash their own clothes for once?” or I can be thankful that I have a husband and three beautiful kids, whom I get to serve. Once more, it’s about perspective. While cooking and cleaning in the kitchen, I might resent that I am preparing the twenty-first meal of the week, or I can be thankful for how my husband and kids are benefiting from my (usually) nourishing meals.
I am reminded of this in a humorous way when I think of how I feel blessed to hold my infant’s full diaper. Changing diapers is no fun, that’s for sure, but I feel thankful when my daughter’s diaper is overflowing because it reminds me that she is eating well and that she is gaining weight. Likewise, when my kids outgrow their clothes, requiring me to buy new ones, it makes me feel gracious to the Lord that He has provided my kids with good health.
Sometimes, it is hard to see things with a healthy perspective. When a close friend’s baby is stillborn, how can you see God’s goodness? When a brother attempts suicide, how can you feel God’s touch? It is hard to see God’s hand in such sorrowful incidents; however, we know that “… in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28). For you, it might be a horrific lay-off at work or a sickness in your family. Maybe you are facing a move that is frightening or a change in your life that is emotionally unsettling. Don’t worry if your heart is heavy and you are lacking in perspective, for God’s word states, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33). Furthermore, the next verse states, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
By seeing things with God’s perspective, we are seeing things with an eternal perspective. I aim to see my life through God’s filter, which means that I take things in stride and remember that He is in control. When I feel like I am in the valley and the mountains are covered in clouds, I will remember that God sees higher than I and that the mountaintops are above me. I want to be more loving to my husband and to see his flaws through Christ’s forgiving eyes. I want my perspective to be more eternal and to focus on his strengths that come from Christ. Furthermore, when I am surrounded by tedium, I will think of how my service honors the Lord because I am taking care of the family He has blessed me with. And when I am faced with tragedy or the unknown, I will try to turn my gaze to Christ for His perspective, that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). I hope you too will cling to Christ’s truths and that you and your family will be shaped by His perspective.
Comments:
<< Home
It's so good to have reminders (like full diapers and bellys hanging out of too-small shirts) of the blessings we have! As I was changing my son's majorly loaded diaper this morning I found myself thankful that it wasn't still the obnoxious color that didn't stay inside the diaper that it had been which is evidence to me that his health has been restored! Praise God for poo!
Every time I read one of your blogs I am reminded of my past and it makes me want to laugh and sometimes cry. There are so many things I would change if I were doing it over again. But the past is filled with hillarious memories as well.
My first-born daughter--crying before she was even completely born into this world. She made me a Mom so I got a Mother's Day placemat on Sunday morning in the hospital. It meant so much. She was my first miracle.
I shall never forget the sight of my little three year old twins standing in front of a marvelous sunset looking at the ocean. You were silhouettes of God's hands.
I am humbled at these memories and I am smiling from deep within. Thank you dear God for your love and grace and mercy.
Love you so,
Mom
Post a Comment
My first-born daughter--crying before she was even completely born into this world. She made me a Mom so I got a Mother's Day placemat on Sunday morning in the hospital. It meant so much. She was my first miracle.
I shall never forget the sight of my little three year old twins standing in front of a marvelous sunset looking at the ocean. You were silhouettes of God's hands.
I am humbled at these memories and I am smiling from deep within. Thank you dear God for your love and grace and mercy.
Love you so,
Mom
<< Home
