Thursday, April 19, 2007
The Big Picture
Sometimes, it’s easy to feel weighed down by all of the tasks of parenting. Between meal preparations, soiled laundry, unending dishes, bath time, and nap and bedtime routines, we have very little energy left for ourselves. Likewise, we can feel discouraged by our kids’ slow progress at becoming godly little people. When my toddler slaps me in the face in frustration or my preschooler yells, “Mom, get my this-or-that!” I think, “What am I doing wrong?”
At times, when we straddle exhaustion and disappointment, it is difficult to see the big picture. In the midst of this mighty responsibility of parenting, we can feel lost in the routine and the daily worries that entangle us. During these times, we need to remember that just like a rose takes time to blossom, so too do our children. Furthermore, a rose garden is a labor of love, but the result is well worth the arduous effort. The months must graduate into years before our children will turn into mature adults, but we must prepare the soil now by putting in the hard work. We can’t give up because parenting is such an important job.
Recently while washing dishes, my three-year-old son interrupted me as he was building a fort with his bedspread. He told me how his bedspread was like Jesus’ cloth left in the tomb. It struck me how important it was to stop my menial dishwashing obligation and take advantage of this ripe opportunity. We got to talk about how Jesus died on the cross but how he rose again leaving the tomb empty.
What a teachable moment this was to me as well, that God is using me as a parent. I may not see the difference I’m making during every moment of every day, but God slips in these special moments to give me hope and to increase my faith. I hope you don’t give up either. One day our little tots will become mature adults and all of the hard work we’re putting in now will pay off in the future. We’ll be so glad when we get to see the roses blooming in their colorful splendor.
At times, when we straddle exhaustion and disappointment, it is difficult to see the big picture. In the midst of this mighty responsibility of parenting, we can feel lost in the routine and the daily worries that entangle us. During these times, we need to remember that just like a rose takes time to blossom, so too do our children. Furthermore, a rose garden is a labor of love, but the result is well worth the arduous effort. The months must graduate into years before our children will turn into mature adults, but we must prepare the soil now by putting in the hard work. We can’t give up because parenting is such an important job.
Recently while washing dishes, my three-year-old son interrupted me as he was building a fort with his bedspread. He told me how his bedspread was like Jesus’ cloth left in the tomb. It struck me how important it was to stop my menial dishwashing obligation and take advantage of this ripe opportunity. We got to talk about how Jesus died on the cross but how he rose again leaving the tomb empty.
What a teachable moment this was to me as well, that God is using me as a parent. I may not see the difference I’m making during every moment of every day, but God slips in these special moments to give me hope and to increase my faith. I hope you don’t give up either. One day our little tots will become mature adults and all of the hard work we’re putting in now will pay off in the future. We’ll be so glad when we get to see the roses blooming in their colorful splendor.
Comments:
<< Home
Hon,
Thanks so much for more encouragement. I love your metaphors, and I particularly like the image of someone straddling "exhaustion and disappointment". I know we've both felt that way sometimes, but I also know the wonderful things that God is doing in our kids. Thanks for being their central source of love and faith.
Keep up the writing, let's get this blog moving!
Love,
Me
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for more encouragement. I love your metaphors, and I particularly like the image of someone straddling "exhaustion and disappointment". I know we've both felt that way sometimes, but I also know the wonderful things that God is doing in our kids. Thanks for being their central source of love and faith.
Keep up the writing, let's get this blog moving!
Love,
Me
<< Home
