Saturday, May 30, 2009

 

Happy Moments

Our most special moments should be savored and remembered. One way to do this is to keep a token from that treasured memory with you. You can take a physical memento, a digital picture, or a meditated impression upon your heart. It's valuable to recount the spectacular moments of our lives because they remind us that life is great, even when we occasionally travel through a season of darkness or despair. As Dennis Prager wisely opines during his "Happiness Hour" every Friday on 590 KTIE, happiness is a personal and individual choice that makes humanity better. One particular way to feel happier is to focus on joyful memories.

When I visit the beach, I love brushing my sandy feet on my car's floor mat. You might wonder why I would promote making a mess in my car; it might even seem nonsensical or foolish. However, when I drive back home for the hour and fifteen minutes, I am left with a token of relaxation and peace that the ocean brings for me. Why clean it up right away? Instead, I get to see the granules on my car's rug for the weeks ahead and am reminded of the terrific moments I had while breathing in the salty air. The physical memento allows me to relish the few hours I had while soaking in the tranquil gusts of wind upon my face.

A special recollection that remains with me is a recent anniversary celebration. My husband and I celebrated our eleven year wedding anniversary at Cafe Sevilla in downtown Riverside. To start off, we enjoyed two delectable tapas dishes: Sevilla fried calamari, dusted in paprika seasoned flour, and Cheese Fundido, an appetizer made of baked Manchego and goat cheese with Chorizo sausage. The sangria royale was unmatched in its bold yet fruity flavor, as were the classic marinated and grilled steak medallions drizzled in a rich Cabrales bleu cheese sauce. The grilled salmon was dressed in a glorious fresh tomato, basil, and Kalamata olive salsa that bordered on perfection.

The mere tip of the iceberg had been touched, for the heavenly flavors continued. The salmon's moisture was delicately absorbed by the gentle sundried tomato and goat cheese tortilla espanola. Additionally, the chocolate crepe dessert was matched only by the famed ones we savored while celebrating our two year anniversary in Paris. Gypsy Kings played in the background while we snuggled sweetly in to our rounded and intimate booth. The Spanish decor captivated our hearts for a daydream overseas to Spain. To savor the romance of that night, I keep the colorful mint wrappers in the outer pocket of my red leather purse, along with some treasured digital photos residing on my cell phone. When I observe the idle colorful squares, I am reminded of this unique dining experience and furthermore of my beloved spouse.

If we meditate on life's positive memories, we will in turn express enthusiasm that reflects a happy heart. It's not that this new pastime of pondering life's good times will nullify life's sour realities; however, our thoughts will embody a positive mindset. What goes in must come out. If you merely recycle negative thoughts throughout your day, about how the checkbook isn't quite balancing out or about the argument you and your spouse had during last week's Thai dinner, then you will minimize the nourishing food of happy memories readily available to you. You can't control the weather, but you can control your thoughts and meditations.

Recollect good remembrances so that you can feel happy. Write them on your heart and mind by placing reminders throughout your environment. For me, it's the sand on my car mat or Cafe Sevilla's mint wrappers. For you, it could be a picture of your newborn baby reminding you of your strength and courage to bring a human being into the world. Maybe for a friend, it's a pair of well-worn mittens in the glove box reminding her of her childhood ski vacations spent with relatives in Mammoth. The tokens or reminders don't have to be complex, they simply have to reflect important events from your life.

Comments:
Great ideas. Such a simple idea of keeping something in the car or a coat pocket. You sound like a deep thinker who enjoys life!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?