Thursday, May 14, 2009

 

Summertime

It's May now, so that means it's starting to warm up and the kids are getting ready for fun summer activities. This includes local camps and swim lessons, along with great movie flicks and lots of tasty summer cook-outs. It's time to fire up the barbecue and get the burgers and dogs cooking. It's also getting a heck of a lot closer to the time where we'll occasionally be called upon to get into our swimsuits. Yikes!

I was at the Gap Outlet at the Cabazon Outlets recently where we purchased way too much stuff for our whole family. In the midst of scurrying for the last size four for my preschooler or the last size three for my toddler, I somehow managed to find a few items for myself. I bought a few spaghetti tanks, an awesome pair of gray slacks for only $5, and a totally slimming new jean skirt.

However, I did not have such fantastic luck trying on two adorable two-piece bathing suits. Totally shocked, I realized I was not at my body-shape goal for summer. Even though I've been kicking butt at the gym, I've realized I may need to do a better job with my eating. I've never thought I had to look perfect by the way, but I was a little bit disappointed while staring into the mirror, since dropping a size recently had really put me in a giddy state. Curse those department store mirrors!

In response to my recent debacle, I've set six simple and attainable goals that should motivate you as well. The first goal is to stop buying unhealthy stuff from the store that will inevitably end up in your stomach once it's in the house. Now, this is tough for moms because we buy tons of snacks for our kids. So, when you have to buy the Doritos or the Cheetos, buy the smaller bags. Then, when you sneak into a bag, it's only three ounces rather than half of the huge bag. They're a little bit more expensive when you purchase them this way, but way less expensive than diet pills.

The second piece of tummy-slimming advice is to stop eating when you're full. Throwing away food seems so anticlimactic and wasteful during a tough economic crisis. However, it's not like you can wrap up your food and send it directly to Ethiopia. Besides, if it can be easily reheated or preserved, you can saran wrap it for later. So, when I'm full, the food is either going to go in the trash can, my dog's food bowl, or stored in my fridge for a later time.

The third method for losing a few pounds before I go out swimsuit shopping again (hopefully some time in June) is to stop eating out so much. My family eats out a ton, especially at fast food restaurants because we're always on the go. Even though I try to get my healthy side-salad or yogurt, I can never pass up the kids' french fries. It's like their mommy payment to me. It's not even optional for them to not share their fries with me. So, I know that even though it's less convenient, either the kids would have to give up their fries (which they would never do) or we're going to have to grab quick and healthy bites at home more often.

The fourth objective is to up the exercise. For example, I'm getting off to the gym about three times a week, but sometimes it ends up being only twice because of our busy lives. So, I'm trying to incorporate more forms of exercise besides my trips to the gym. One way to increase the oxygen intake is to get outside more frequently. My kids and I are trying to walk our dog more often; they love taking turns holding her leash and our dog is in seventh heaven over the decision as well. Additionally, we've been getting out to the park more regularly; I'm inevitably chasing our youngest daughter around, which always gets me running or climbing.

The fifth challenge is to substitute a traditional meal for a smoothie. I love when all the fresh fruit starts pouring into our markets. The produce is not only more readily available, but it's fresher and cheaper. There's almost no excuse for me on this one because my kids love smoothies as well. Aside from the lower caloric intake of a smoothie over a traditional breakfast, it's a great way to sneak in a bunch of needed vitamins and antioxidants. Furthermore, it can be protein-packed with a few scoops of protein-powder as well. So, you'll also stay full longer.

The last piece of pound dropping wisdom is to remember not to starve yourselves. Seriously, when I give up too many scrumptious treats, I just want to indulge even more. So, I'm going to limit my sweets and increase my fruits and veggies, while making plenty of room for tasty frozen yogurt options and the occasional splurge, like last night when I sent my husband out for chocolate sundaes from Wienerschnitzel. That's okay though because I've got step-class tonight at the gym. Work it ladies!

Comments:
Dear Mom,

Please stop putting so much food in my bowl, I'm getting too fat. And despite what you think, I really don't love peanut butter.

Love,

Nugget
 
Dear Person Whose House I Live in Like Royalty (no feline has an owner!),

Since the dog has abdicated her supposed right to all table scraps, I will allow you to put them in my bowl. But only if they are tuna. Or lean chicken.

Lazily,

The Cat (the one you call "Sage". No one chooses a name for a feline!)
 
Hey, we found that we eat tons healthier (and don't gorge ourselves) when we don't go ut to eat. Agree.

Also, I too am tempted to buy sweets at the store, but I don't even go down that isle, because I totally know it's in the house I will eat it. Agree.

And, I sure love those fruit smoothies. Agree.

Thanks for visiting my blog!! Say HI to us when we visit Bridges in June.
 
Dear Dianne,

It was nice to talk to you in the park yesterday. I called UCR about kids summer swimming lesson. Unfortunately, the pool in UCR has some leak. It is repairing now. The person who talk to said, he don't think UCR will have summer swimming lesson for kids this year. Thank you for the informations. Please feel free to call me. Hope see you and your kids again.*_^

Angela =^_^=
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?