Saturday, May 02, 2009
What's in my Purse?
What's in my purse? You can't believe the items I found in my purse while waiting in the car while my toddler slept and the rest of our family shopped at the outlet mall. I started digging through it because honestly I had nothing better to do. This is what I found: cough drops (no, I don't have the swine flu), one mangled slinky, a colorful girl's headband, my coolest pair of dark brown sunglasses, a stick (from multiple trips to the Botanic Gardens earlier this week), two Despereaux kid's toys, a breakfast bar, one mandarin orange cup, two pairs of girl's socks, one hot pink rubber band, baby sunscreen, tampons, lip stick, hand lotion, diapers, baby wipes, an alligator plush toy (of course), a bingo sheet, and my wallet. You don't even want to know about all the crap in my wallet, so I won't waste your time. My cell phone of course was right next to my purse for easy access. Can you tell I'm a mom of three?
As moms, we carry so much crap around all the time. My purse would be like ten pounds lighter if I'd unload half of its contents. As women, we'd be exponentially lighter as well if we'd sort through some of our emotional clutter. We need to dispose of the junk that we no longer need. For example, these two friendships that ended cold turkey due to unfortunate events still haunt me. However, I've done all that I can do to make amends; there's literally nothing else I can do. So, I need to move on and dump the extra emotional weight of those disappointments.
What about those nagging comments your relative made about you last Christmas? Isn't it time to let those go as well? As moms, it's harmless to carry clutter in our purses, but it's problematic when we do it in our hearts. It's beneficial to de-clutter our purses, but even more so to cleanse our hearts from things we have no control over. When we've done all we can to rectify a certain situation or an injustice, then we need to move on. This way, we can make room for better things. Our hearts can only hold so much stuff, just like our purses. Regarding the purse thing, I guess we could just buy a smaller one. Nah!
As moms, we carry so much crap around all the time. My purse would be like ten pounds lighter if I'd unload half of its contents. As women, we'd be exponentially lighter as well if we'd sort through some of our emotional clutter. We need to dispose of the junk that we no longer need. For example, these two friendships that ended cold turkey due to unfortunate events still haunt me. However, I've done all that I can do to make amends; there's literally nothing else I can do. So, I need to move on and dump the extra emotional weight of those disappointments.
What about those nagging comments your relative made about you last Christmas? Isn't it time to let those go as well? As moms, it's harmless to carry clutter in our purses, but it's problematic when we do it in our hearts. It's beneficial to de-clutter our purses, but even more so to cleanse our hearts from things we have no control over. When we've done all we can to rectify a certain situation or an injustice, then we need to move on. This way, we can make room for better things. Our hearts can only hold so much stuff, just like our purses. Regarding the purse thing, I guess we could just buy a smaller one. Nah!