Friday, June 05, 2009
Thankfulness
We take so many simple blessings for granted by focusing on what we do not have or on the struggles that entangle us. Instead, we should spend our energy on the strengths we possess or on the joys that fill our days. Many people take their faithful spouse or their healthy children for granted because they're around them every day. Likewise, it is easy to grow indifferent about our basic provisions, such as a shelter over our heads or three filling meals per day.
In addition to the aforementioned blessings, I am incredibly grateful for my five senses. These may be the most thankless amenities of all, as most of us have enjoyed them for our entire lives. But imagine if you didn’t have them and how different your life would be. I cherish the smell of my children as I kiss their heads after a hot bath, or the smell of garden fresh roses or basil leaves. I couldn't imagine trading in my ability to smell my favorite scented perfumes and lotions or the peaceful ocean breeze.
What about the gift of hearing? Can you imagine all the great music you would miss out on if you could not hear? I would especially miss energetic rock music and the gentle sound of my kids’ laughter. Birds’ chirping would be a mere memory, as would the sound of running water in a rural creek-bed or raindrops hitting against my bedroom windows. Likewise, I would long for the sound of the wind blowing through the trees and for my husband’s calming voice as he occasionally reads to me before bed.
To see is such a treasure as well. I can’t imagine missing out on my kids' vast range of facial expressions. Each new day, I stare into my middle daughter's eyes telling her that they look even more blue than the previous day. Likewise, I love looking into my son’s handsome eyes, knowing we’re connecting when I tell him, “I love you”. I can’t fathom the loss of being able to breathe in a beautiful sunset at the beach as the oranges and pinks swirl together like an impressionistic masterpiece. Seeing the beauty all around us is so easily taken for granted. We can pass by a beautiful cloud on a walk and think nothing of it. Without our sense of sight, vivacious colors would be mere memories and darkness and varying shades of light would become the norm.
The sense of taste is one of my favorites, especially with all of the scrumptious cookouts approaching with summer break upon us. The long summer days make rich ice cream sundaes even sweeter than normal. It would be tragic to give up even the simplest of foods, such as a fresh piece of sourdough toast with warm butter melted on top and a hot cup of coffee with vanilla creamer. Likewise, the soothing flavors of fresh summer fruits, such as strawberries, melons, and oranges would be lost. Additionally, I would pine for one more taste of my husband’s sweet kiss or one more drop from a romantic glass of Merlot.
The gift of touch is marvelous. Can you imagine not being able to feel the soft covering of your blanket on you at night? I am also appreciative of my husband’s soft touch as we hold hands. Furthermore, during each of my pregnancies, I was thrilled to feel my child's movement inside of me, as a reminder of the miracle growing within. Without my sense of touch, I would even miss petting my tenaciously irritating cat and my attention deprived dog.
Some days, I marvel at these luxuries with a proper perspective of thankfulness and awe. However, most days these precious gifts go unappreciated. It is my goal to become more thankful for the blessings in my life. Remember to appreciate your family, friends, and your most basic daily provisions. You're truly lucky to be alive today! You're even more blessed if you can smell, see, hear, taste, and feel the world around you.
In addition to the aforementioned blessings, I am incredibly grateful for my five senses. These may be the most thankless amenities of all, as most of us have enjoyed them for our entire lives. But imagine if you didn’t have them and how different your life would be. I cherish the smell of my children as I kiss their heads after a hot bath, or the smell of garden fresh roses or basil leaves. I couldn't imagine trading in my ability to smell my favorite scented perfumes and lotions or the peaceful ocean breeze.
What about the gift of hearing? Can you imagine all the great music you would miss out on if you could not hear? I would especially miss energetic rock music and the gentle sound of my kids’ laughter. Birds’ chirping would be a mere memory, as would the sound of running water in a rural creek-bed or raindrops hitting against my bedroom windows. Likewise, I would long for the sound of the wind blowing through the trees and for my husband’s calming voice as he occasionally reads to me before bed.
To see is such a treasure as well. I can’t imagine missing out on my kids' vast range of facial expressions. Each new day, I stare into my middle daughter's eyes telling her that they look even more blue than the previous day. Likewise, I love looking into my son’s handsome eyes, knowing we’re connecting when I tell him, “I love you”. I can’t fathom the loss of being able to breathe in a beautiful sunset at the beach as the oranges and pinks swirl together like an impressionistic masterpiece. Seeing the beauty all around us is so easily taken for granted. We can pass by a beautiful cloud on a walk and think nothing of it. Without our sense of sight, vivacious colors would be mere memories and darkness and varying shades of light would become the norm.
The sense of taste is one of my favorites, especially with all of the scrumptious cookouts approaching with summer break upon us. The long summer days make rich ice cream sundaes even sweeter than normal. It would be tragic to give up even the simplest of foods, such as a fresh piece of sourdough toast with warm butter melted on top and a hot cup of coffee with vanilla creamer. Likewise, the soothing flavors of fresh summer fruits, such as strawberries, melons, and oranges would be lost. Additionally, I would pine for one more taste of my husband’s sweet kiss or one more drop from a romantic glass of Merlot.
The gift of touch is marvelous. Can you imagine not being able to feel the soft covering of your blanket on you at night? I am also appreciative of my husband’s soft touch as we hold hands. Furthermore, during each of my pregnancies, I was thrilled to feel my child's movement inside of me, as a reminder of the miracle growing within. Without my sense of touch, I would even miss petting my tenaciously irritating cat and my attention deprived dog.
Some days, I marvel at these luxuries with a proper perspective of thankfulness and awe. However, most days these precious gifts go unappreciated. It is my goal to become more thankful for the blessings in my life. Remember to appreciate your family, friends, and your most basic daily provisions. You're truly lucky to be alive today! You're even more blessed if you can smell, see, hear, taste, and feel the world around you.
