Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Saved by Grace
What if you died today? Do you know where you would go? Most people become extremely stressed out when they have to discuss the topic of death. Whether it involves the planning of a will, someone's life insurance policy, or just religious beliefs in general, people frequently prefer to avoid the topic.
When you see those corny commercials where the wife and husband happen to wander into the kitchen for a late-night snack at the exact same minute, you sense the fabrication of the scene. You'd bet a million dollars you were about to watch a life insurance advertisement. And, usually you'd be right.
Why is it that we avoid the topic of death? Or, at the very least, why does it make us shift uncomfortably in our seat, no matter where we're sitting? I think it's because we prefer to be alive, so it makes the topic of death or of dying a pretty uncomfortable one. But, here's the real deal: death is cool. Unlike the phony life insurance commercial that's supposed to give you the warm fuzzies, the Bible offers hope and eternal life in Jesus Christ.
When you do come face to face with conversations pertaining to death, grab your Bible. Not that you shouldn't get all of your practical financial issues in order pertaining to passing away, but your peace with the Creator should come as the biggest priority. As I was driving up a long road after dropping my three kids at school, the concept of God's grace was really soaking in to my thick skull covered by medium-length brown hair.
While I've had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ since I was ten years old, I was really blown away during my time alone in the car by the fact that there's nothing I have to worry about spiritually before I die. I don't have to stress about the "what ifs" before dying because Jesus is my bridge, my peace, and my full payment. Sometimes death seems stressful because you might think, "Well, I have to do this, this, and that before I die...how stressful not to know when it will be?"
The thing is, if you walk with Jesus, HE is your all in all. He is sufficient. Doesn't that blow your mind? Of course, your life should demonstrate your love for Him on a daily basis, but you don't have to worry about the incidentals. He's taken care of them. You already have your "Get out of Jail Free" pass.
The popular verse that shows up in the background of NFL games is the basic truth of our faith. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." But, some people want to complicate the Gospel's simplicity by saying, "But you also have to do this, that, and the other thing. It's not just because of Jesus."
The next verse states, "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." You see, it's not really about you, it's just about Jesus. He won't bully His way into your heart, but once He comes in, He's there to stay. Revelation 3:20 says, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." It does not say, "If you do all of these other things too." What a relief, huh? While I definitely love LIVING, I'm pretty stoked about dying too. Heaven is gonna be the party of the century, so we better start sending out our Evites now.
When you see those corny commercials where the wife and husband happen to wander into the kitchen for a late-night snack at the exact same minute, you sense the fabrication of the scene. You'd bet a million dollars you were about to watch a life insurance advertisement. And, usually you'd be right.
Why is it that we avoid the topic of death? Or, at the very least, why does it make us shift uncomfortably in our seat, no matter where we're sitting? I think it's because we prefer to be alive, so it makes the topic of death or of dying a pretty uncomfortable one. But, here's the real deal: death is cool. Unlike the phony life insurance commercial that's supposed to give you the warm fuzzies, the Bible offers hope and eternal life in Jesus Christ.
When you do come face to face with conversations pertaining to death, grab your Bible. Not that you shouldn't get all of your practical financial issues in order pertaining to passing away, but your peace with the Creator should come as the biggest priority. As I was driving up a long road after dropping my three kids at school, the concept of God's grace was really soaking in to my thick skull covered by medium-length brown hair.
While I've had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ since I was ten years old, I was really blown away during my time alone in the car by the fact that there's nothing I have to worry about spiritually before I die. I don't have to stress about the "what ifs" before dying because Jesus is my bridge, my peace, and my full payment. Sometimes death seems stressful because you might think, "Well, I have to do this, this, and that before I die...how stressful not to know when it will be?"
The thing is, if you walk with Jesus, HE is your all in all. He is sufficient. Doesn't that blow your mind? Of course, your life should demonstrate your love for Him on a daily basis, but you don't have to worry about the incidentals. He's taken care of them. You already have your "Get out of Jail Free" pass.
The popular verse that shows up in the background of NFL games is the basic truth of our faith. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." But, some people want to complicate the Gospel's simplicity by saying, "But you also have to do this, that, and the other thing. It's not just because of Jesus."
The next verse states, "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." You see, it's not really about you, it's just about Jesus. He won't bully His way into your heart, but once He comes in, He's there to stay. Revelation 3:20 says, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." It does not say, "If you do all of these other things too." What a relief, huh? While I definitely love LIVING, I'm pretty stoked about dying too. Heaven is gonna be the party of the century, so we better start sending out our Evites now.
Labels: Bible, death, grace, Jesus
Comments:
<< Home
What a LOVELY outlook!!! It really makes me think....and bask in the reverie of knowing Jesus personally. I talk to Him every day (really all day long whenever I think of Him). Including Him in all my decisions and worries and happy moments gives me confidence that He is alive inside my heart. Sometimes when I'm wrapped up in a worry, it takes time to 'remember' that He doesn't want me to worry about anything, but to give Him all my concerns. Mmmmmmm. I feel so lucky--and so lucky that many in my family know Him like I do.
Thanks for the beautiful article.
Love,
M
Post a Comment
Thanks for the beautiful article.
Love,
M
<< Home
