Friday, January 22, 2010
The Rain and the Rainbow
The rain calls us indoors. We must take shelter from the downpour or we will get soaking wet. For those living in the midst of a storm, they know that taking cover means protection from the harsh wind, rain, and hail. But, some people refuse to stay inside; instead they resist the storm's darkness and fury. After hours of effort, they collapse from exhaustion and eventually crawl into a warm place where they can find rest.
When the Lord calls us to rest, it means He has good plans for us. He has not forgotten our dreams or our investments in this world, for He uses all things to the good of the one that is to come. The Lord calls us to slow down so that we may hear from Him. As stated in a quiet time from Streams in the Desert, "There is no music during a musical rest, but the rest is part of the making of the music. During those rests, we foolishly believe we have come to the end of the song. He (God) counts the break with unwavering precision and plays his next note with confidence, as if no pause were ever there" (selected).
While experiencing the most rain we've had in one week here in Southern California during my three decades of life, I've been inside a lot. Last night, I couldn't even sleep well because the rain beat against my windows with such passion and fervor. Instead of the tranquility that the droplets might usually bring, I felt anxiety and darkness. And that is how I've felt in some areas of my life as well: anxious and dark. God's voice has been very quiet over the past three to four years and I have been waiting to hear it clearly for some time now.
But, then I was reminded of a sign the Lord gave to me yesterday during a slight respite from this crazy storm. A beam of light shone through my upstairs window, calling me to the outdoors. I said to my kids, "Let's go, there must be a rainbow outside." And to my wondering eyes, there appeared the most dazzling rainbow, as if it had been colored with brand new Crayola markers. Its beauty took my breath away, but as I called my neighbor to inform her of the colorful beams of light, it vanished. The rain started up again. It was gone.
Though the rainbows of life occasionally come and go, their significance never leaves us. The symbol of the rainbow represents hope and promise. It reminds people of God's mercy and compassion. While in the midst of the tempest, we must keep our eyes fixed on what we know, that the rainbow is still there, waiting to peek through the clouds. Similarly, the Lord is ALWAYS there, especially during the storms! In truth, a rainstorm is a sign of hope as well because it reflects what is yet to come, the colors of promise and for we who believe, eternal life with our KING.
So, don't give up friend. That is what Satan would want you to do. He would call you to hide your head, to quit dreaming, and to shut down. That is not the message of the God of Israel. God calls you to "Trust in (Him) with all your heart and (to) lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways, (to) acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5+6). In the New Testament, the hope continues on. John 10:10 says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have LIFE, and have it to the full."
Share how you've weathered a tough storm. Give some stories of the rainbows that God has placed in your path. I'd love to hear from you. To God be the glory for the storms and the rainbows! :)
When the Lord calls us to rest, it means He has good plans for us. He has not forgotten our dreams or our investments in this world, for He uses all things to the good of the one that is to come. The Lord calls us to slow down so that we may hear from Him. As stated in a quiet time from Streams in the Desert, "There is no music during a musical rest, but the rest is part of the making of the music. During those rests, we foolishly believe we have come to the end of the song. He (God) counts the break with unwavering precision and plays his next note with confidence, as if no pause were ever there" (selected).
While experiencing the most rain we've had in one week here in Southern California during my three decades of life, I've been inside a lot. Last night, I couldn't even sleep well because the rain beat against my windows with such passion and fervor. Instead of the tranquility that the droplets might usually bring, I felt anxiety and darkness. And that is how I've felt in some areas of my life as well: anxious and dark. God's voice has been very quiet over the past three to four years and I have been waiting to hear it clearly for some time now.
But, then I was reminded of a sign the Lord gave to me yesterday during a slight respite from this crazy storm. A beam of light shone through my upstairs window, calling me to the outdoors. I said to my kids, "Let's go, there must be a rainbow outside." And to my wondering eyes, there appeared the most dazzling rainbow, as if it had been colored with brand new Crayola markers. Its beauty took my breath away, but as I called my neighbor to inform her of the colorful beams of light, it vanished. The rain started up again. It was gone.
Though the rainbows of life occasionally come and go, their significance never leaves us. The symbol of the rainbow represents hope and promise. It reminds people of God's mercy and compassion. While in the midst of the tempest, we must keep our eyes fixed on what we know, that the rainbow is still there, waiting to peek through the clouds. Similarly, the Lord is ALWAYS there, especially during the storms! In truth, a rainstorm is a sign of hope as well because it reflects what is yet to come, the colors of promise and for we who believe, eternal life with our KING.
So, don't give up friend. That is what Satan would want you to do. He would call you to hide your head, to quit dreaming, and to shut down. That is not the message of the God of Israel. God calls you to "Trust in (Him) with all your heart and (to) lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways, (to) acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5+6). In the New Testament, the hope continues on. John 10:10 says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have LIFE, and have it to the full."
Share how you've weathered a tough storm. Give some stories of the rainbows that God has placed in your path. I'd love to hear from you. To God be the glory for the storms and the rainbows! :)
Labels: Bible, family, rainbows, rainstorm
