Thursday, September 23, 2010
Getting Sick is Restful
In the rat race that we're all in, sometimes getting sick can be a blessing in disguise. I've already had two sick kids this week, which is no fun. But, while caring for my little sickies, I've found the time to be somewhat restful.
It means that my husband has to go in late to work so I can drop off two of our kids while our third is home on the couch. And, it means modified schedules and missed activities. At the same time, it translates into more hugs, more snuggles, and some mommy-daughter time.
Another thing that sickness produces is an altered menu: yummy Popsicles, Gatorade, Saltines, and apple sauce. It also allows us to stay home and think about hearty soups and calming hot teas instead of pizza and chicken nuggets.
In a way, sickness is just a way of reminding us that we all need to slow down a bit and to eat more healthily as well. It also gives us a chance to put on the brakes to spend some quality time together.
Let's read some of their favorite books to them as we rub their foreheads. Don't you just love Winnie the Pooh and The Chronicles of Narnia? If your kids are older, you might pull out that dusty old copy of The Lord of the Rings. Isn't Frodo the bravest Hobbit ever?
Our family is already speeding into the fall, tied up on multiple evenings per week with sports' practices, Boy's and Girl's Scouts, and church activities. So, taking it easy for a week is kind of a treat. I don't wish sickness upon my kids, but I'm trying to have a good attitude while its inevitable grip is upon us.
Soon, everyone will be back to normal, jumping off the walls again. So, I'm gonna enjoy the peace and quiet while it's here and also catch up on my Mt. Olympus sized pile of laundry cluttering my bedroom's tan leather chair.
The couch is looking pretty cozy up in the bonus room, so I might join my daughter in a little bit. And I'll make myself some organic mint tea before I head up that way. My Cooking Light magazine begs to be read as well, so I might just have to postpone the laundry. What's one more day anyways? :)
If you do get a cold or the flu anytime soon, we wish you a quick recovery. Remember to take lots of vitamin C and a good multivitamin as well. And if you don't like swallowing pills, I highly recommend Vitafusion's adult gummy vitamins, which are easy to chew and tasty as well.
I've been chewing two Cs every couple of hours for the past few days; this regimen has really helped because I've fought off a minor head cold in just a few days and am already feeling up to jogging again.
One last "stay healthy" tip: remember to use your hand sanitizers, especially before eating. I keep one in the car, two in my purse, and one on my kitchen counter. Just a dime-sized amount goes a long way and you can even get the moisturizing kind, so that your hands don't get dried out.
Share your thoughts on health and colds. How's your family doing so far? We'd love to hear from you. :)
It means that my husband has to go in late to work so I can drop off two of our kids while our third is home on the couch. And, it means modified schedules and missed activities. At the same time, it translates into more hugs, more snuggles, and some mommy-daughter time.
Another thing that sickness produces is an altered menu: yummy Popsicles, Gatorade, Saltines, and apple sauce. It also allows us to stay home and think about hearty soups and calming hot teas instead of pizza and chicken nuggets.
In a way, sickness is just a way of reminding us that we all need to slow down a bit and to eat more healthily as well. It also gives us a chance to put on the brakes to spend some quality time together.
Let's read some of their favorite books to them as we rub their foreheads. Don't you just love Winnie the Pooh and The Chronicles of Narnia? If your kids are older, you might pull out that dusty old copy of The Lord of the Rings. Isn't Frodo the bravest Hobbit ever?
Our family is already speeding into the fall, tied up on multiple evenings per week with sports' practices, Boy's and Girl's Scouts, and church activities. So, taking it easy for a week is kind of a treat. I don't wish sickness upon my kids, but I'm trying to have a good attitude while its inevitable grip is upon us.
Soon, everyone will be back to normal, jumping off the walls again. So, I'm gonna enjoy the peace and quiet while it's here and also catch up on my Mt. Olympus sized pile of laundry cluttering my bedroom's tan leather chair.
The couch is looking pretty cozy up in the bonus room, so I might join my daughter in a little bit. And I'll make myself some organic mint tea before I head up that way. My Cooking Light magazine begs to be read as well, so I might just have to postpone the laundry. What's one more day anyways? :)
If you do get a cold or the flu anytime soon, we wish you a quick recovery. Remember to take lots of vitamin C and a good multivitamin as well. And if you don't like swallowing pills, I highly recommend Vitafusion's adult gummy vitamins, which are easy to chew and tasty as well.
I've been chewing two Cs every couple of hours for the past few days; this regimen has really helped because I've fought off a minor head cold in just a few days and am already feeling up to jogging again.
One last "stay healthy" tip: remember to use your hand sanitizers, especially before eating. I keep one in the car, two in my purse, and one on my kitchen counter. Just a dime-sized amount goes a long way and you can even get the moisturizing kind, so that your hands don't get dried out.
Share your thoughts on health and colds. How's your family doing so far? We'd love to hear from you. :)
Labels: colds, family, health, sickness
Comments:
<< Home
I have the sanitizer in my car, in my purse, in my house. It's funny because when Mark and I are out... I always make him hold out his hands before we eat, and I squeeze some sanitizer in his hands too. That way when we share food, which typically happens, his food's safe too! Ha! Dani ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home
