Saturday, February 12, 2011
King David's Honesty
I've been abundantly trapped in the Psalms for the past few years. I squeeze in other parts of the Bible too, but somehow I find true spiritual rest as I allow myself to get lost in one of David's poems.
He's so real, so raw, so edgy, even for today's Hollywood standards. He screams out his heart to God. He begs Him to listen. He longs for Him to respond. And that reminds me of someone else I know pretty well... myself.
Today I enjoyed reading Psalm 39. David is definitely dealing with some anger issues in this one and tries to get some perspective. He knows life is short. He is super miffed at his enemies and feels like God has let him down.
Have you ever felt like that before? I have echoed those same feelings... like once or twice or a hundred times a thousand times. Let's be honest people. That's what blogs are for. So, back to Psalm 39.
David says that when he stayed silent and kept his tongue from sin, "My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: 'Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life'" (v 3+4).
We observe that David is pretty hot-headed. He explodes with passion, whether he's angry at God or in love with Him. He continues to talk about how short life is by comparing it to a simple breath (v 5). And I love his flair for the drama when he talks about how we are like ghosts just coming and going (v 6a).
Then he shares how you work your fanny off and then someone else gets to spend your money after you die (v 6b). But ever so briefly, he sneaks some wisdom into verse seven: "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you."
But then he's right back to being ticked off again and starts to wrestle with the Lord about how it's really all the Lord's fault by saying, "...for you are the one who has done this" (v 9b).
He then asks God to remove His "scourge" and says he is overcome by the "blow of (God's) hand" (v 10). He goes on to complain about how God disciplines us and how God is actually the one who "...consume(s) (man's) wealth like a moth" (v 11). And then he's back to whining about life being super short: "...each man is but a breath."
At this point, it starts to feel like a roller coaster because David interjects a little bit of humility again: "Hear my prayer, O Lord, listen to my cry for help; be not deaf to my weeping"(v 12). And then he's totally angry again and even asks God to leave him by saying, "Look away from me, that I may rejoice again before I depart and am no more" (v 13).
But, haven't we all done this before? We pray like little bratty kids. We say "Oh Lord I love you and want to serve you with my entire life" one minute and then the next we're like "I hate you God, you never come through for me... how come so-and-so got that promotion and I didn't?"
But here's where we can take heart. Remember how David was called "A man after God's own heart?" Even though he blew it (way more than once), God was touched by his honesty.
Even though lots of David's prayer-time included crying and shouting, at least he spent time praying in the first place. And that's what God wants from us as well. Let's take the time to hang out with the Lord. Tell Him how you really feel. Tell the Lord how you're really doing.
Does your prayer life look anything like David's? Share your thoughts about King David's honesty. Keeping it real. We'd love to hear from you. :)
He's so real, so raw, so edgy, even for today's Hollywood standards. He screams out his heart to God. He begs Him to listen. He longs for Him to respond. And that reminds me of someone else I know pretty well... myself.
Today I enjoyed reading Psalm 39. David is definitely dealing with some anger issues in this one and tries to get some perspective. He knows life is short. He is super miffed at his enemies and feels like God has let him down.
Have you ever felt like that before? I have echoed those same feelings... like once or twice or a hundred times a thousand times. Let's be honest people. That's what blogs are for. So, back to Psalm 39.
David says that when he stayed silent and kept his tongue from sin, "My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: 'Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life'" (v 3+4).
We observe that David is pretty hot-headed. He explodes with passion, whether he's angry at God or in love with Him. He continues to talk about how short life is by comparing it to a simple breath (v 5). And I love his flair for the drama when he talks about how we are like ghosts just coming and going (v 6a).
Then he shares how you work your fanny off and then someone else gets to spend your money after you die (v 6b). But ever so briefly, he sneaks some wisdom into verse seven: "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you."
But then he's right back to being ticked off again and starts to wrestle with the Lord about how it's really all the Lord's fault by saying, "...for you are the one who has done this" (v 9b).
He then asks God to remove His "scourge" and says he is overcome by the "blow of (God's) hand" (v 10). He goes on to complain about how God disciplines us and how God is actually the one who "...consume(s) (man's) wealth like a moth" (v 11). And then he's back to whining about life being super short: "...each man is but a breath."
At this point, it starts to feel like a roller coaster because David interjects a little bit of humility again: "Hear my prayer, O Lord, listen to my cry for help; be not deaf to my weeping"(v 12). And then he's totally angry again and even asks God to leave him by saying, "Look away from me, that I may rejoice again before I depart and am no more" (v 13).
But, haven't we all done this before? We pray like little bratty kids. We say "Oh Lord I love you and want to serve you with my entire life" one minute and then the next we're like "I hate you God, you never come through for me... how come so-and-so got that promotion and I didn't?"
But here's where we can take heart. Remember how David was called "A man after God's own heart?" Even though he blew it (way more than once), God was touched by his honesty.
Even though lots of David's prayer-time included crying and shouting, at least he spent time praying in the first place. And that's what God wants from us as well. Let's take the time to hang out with the Lord. Tell Him how you really feel. Tell the Lord how you're really doing.
Does your prayer life look anything like David's? Share your thoughts about King David's honesty. Keeping it real. We'd love to hear from you. :)
Labels: King David, Psalm 39