Thursday, June 09, 2011

 

Meet Summer Christopher

Summer Christopher is currently a Management Team Member and the Director of Family Ministries, which includes Flip Flops, Pipeline, and Frontside here at Sandals. Summer earned her B.A. in English from California Baptist University. She has served as an elementary school teacher for 4 years and acted as the interim principal of an elementary school for a short time. She also loves jumping on trampolines and has attended our church for the past nine years. Let's get to some questions:

1) What is your vision for the kids at Sandals?

My vision is to help kids learn to be real with themselves, others, and God as we teach them the basic truths of Christianity. One of the things I love most about this age is their ability to learn. Like no other age group, elementary children have the ability to take in huge amounts of information. That means they are able to learn massive amounts of Scripture, Bible stories, Christian truths, and more. In fact, some of what we teach them will not be fully understood until they are adults (who am I kidding, even adults don’t fully understand this stuff!). But we are laying the groundwork. If I can give students a Biblical road-map now, they can discover the depths of the way-points as they get older.

2) What do you love most about working with the kids at Sandals?

So much! Children are a blessing. They are not grown up enough to be guarded. They do not know how to hide who they are. Their faith is pure, inspiring, and bold. Most of us are in counseling for issues that developed in childhood. To make an impact on children while they are young, helping them sort out the truth of who they are in Christ is a privilege. I love listening to them pray with honesty and sincerity. I think we can learn a lot from those little mouths that are willing to ask for the moon and expect it!

3) What's your favorite way to worship God? You've mentioned that you like to hike up to the cross near church. Can you share some reflections about that weekly experience?

I love worshiping God outdoors. One of my favorite ways to connect with God is climbing up to the cross behind the church. I try to spend an hour up there each week reconnecting with God and asking him to refresh my spirit. It reminds me of all the times that Jesus went off on the hillside to pray. If he needed it, then I definitely do! God is faithful to meet me. He has spoken to me through the fear of what I might find on the path, the difficulties of reaching the top, the stillness of the quiet, the strength of renewal found via the birds in the wind, and the open sky welcoming his return.

This week had to be one of my most memorable experiences. I went up to a new spot in need of a different perspective. As I was praying and journaling my thoughts, I suddenly noticed hundreds of small shadows passing over me. At first I thought it was a flock of birds, but then realized they were too small for that. I looked up just as a few bees zoomed past me. Terrified to look up farther, I glanced to my left to see a huge swarm of bees passing over a foot or so above my head. As I grabbed my keys, my first reaction was to jump up and run down the mountain as fast as I could! But something kept me still. As I replayed images of killer bee documentaries in my head, I felt God’s hand holding me there.

If I had jumped up like I had started to do, I would have stood up right in the middle of the swarm, and who knows what harm would have come from running down the mountain? Instead, I sat, hidden in the cleft of his hand as I watched them all pass without so much as a recognition of my presence. None showed interest or even acknowledgement of me. Once they passed out of sight, I sat (thankful I did not pee my pants), wondering if now was the time to run, to panic, or even if my legs would work anymore. I was not even confident in my ability to stand since my heart was pounding and terror flooded me. Stunned at what had just occurred, I wondered what God would have me do. After all, he is the one I had come to meet with. Would he have me flee for fear of bees?

I chose to take one look at my notes and to seek God even in that moment. The last words I had written to him were, “I need your help.” At that moment I realized my vulnerability. I had no control over my fate with those bees. I could not even pretend that I knew what to do or how to act. I had no way of protecting myself. In the same way I sensed God proclaiming his protection over me, his hiding me from my enemies. My part was to remain in him. He would take care of the rest. He is faithful. My life, time and again, is a testimony to his faithfulness, blessing, protection, and love.

4) Describe your family in three words!

"Thomas The Train" describes my family. My husband, Neal, and I have been married for fourteen years. We have two sons: Aidan (3 years old) and Anselm (7 months old).

5) What countries have you visited thus far and which others would you totally like to visit someday? Why?

I have been to England, Mexico, and Israel. I would love to visit Greece for its history, architecture, and education. And I would love to visit Italy for the food. Although I have to say, going on a safari on the Serengeti sounds pretty inspiring as well!

6) Would you try any crazy food combo? If you answered yes, which would you pick of these three: a) meat tacos and chocolate sauce, b) peaches and peanut butter, or c) spaghetti topped with vanilla ice cream?

I pretty much like all food, especially if it involves meat. So a) & c) are automatically in. And b) just sounds like a good dessert.

7) If you could be the lead female role in any movie, what would it be and why?

Scarlett O’Hara – for the wardrobe.

8) If you could be an animal for a week, what would you pick and why?

Probably a panda because they like to snuggle, get lots of TLC, and bamboo can’t taste all that bad.

9) What's the verse that helps you get by the best when you're struggling with something in life?

2 Corinthians 12:9-10:

9 But he said to me, "'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

10) A few favorites: Color? Worship song? Candy? Band?

White
“Beautiful Things”
Reeces Cups
Gungor

***If you get a minute to chat with Summer, ask her what she thinks about iPads for kids.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?