Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Prayer guidelines
Do we really believe that prayer works? I mean, even non-religious people throw out occasional prayers, right? You're familiar with the, "Oh God, please help me to find a parking space close to the front" or the one to keep your family safe when there's a loud noise in the middle of the night. In contrast to the occasional prayer blurb, some of us have flourishing prayer lives. But sometimes we can feel like it's not really making a difference. And I'm wondering, if prayer isn't effective, why do we do it at all?
As a Christian for the past twenty-six years, I've concluded that prayer makes a huge difference in my own life and for the world at large. That said, I think we should take it a little bit more seriously than we sometimes do. We pray for thing-A then thing-B, and our mind races off to thing-C. Before long, we're confused about what we even asked for because we are babbling while cycling at the gym. And I'm not the type who says prayer has to be done in a cathedral with a head covering either. But I think we make it a little bit too lackadaisical at times. We fit it in like it's a chore, rather than slowing down to sit with the Lord.
Here are three guidelines to pump up your prayer-life:
First, keep it simple. Rather than rambling on and on about every single person you've ever met or about every worry that fills your mind multiple times, ask the Lord to meet those needs, and then move on. This shows that you trust Him. It's not to say that He doesn't appreciate the squeaky wheel, asking again and again non-stop. But don't you think He heard you the first ten times? Instead of lingering on the never-ending requests, move on to praising God and thanking Him for His limitless provisions over the years.
Second, keep it real. Most of us realize that God knows our thoughts and concerns before we even think them. But still, we hold back during our prayer time because we think we can hide from His presence. As a Christian, you know He resides in your heart so wherever you go, He's right there with you. Plus, He does want to hear from you, all that's on your mind. And btw, in the first point, I never meant that we shouldn't bring all of our concerns to the King of Kings. I simply meant we should pray them to Him and then wait on His timing for their fruition. So go ahead and tell the Lord that you're stressed about your job or about your kids' future. Share your own health concerns with Him too. This honesty evidences a relationship between the two of you. And it shows that prayer is personal!
Third, keep it spirit guided. Sometimes I don't even know what to pray for so I'll just ask the Lord to press His thoughts and concerns onto my heart. I ask for guidance if there's someone I should be praying for in my extended family or amongst my circle of friends. I'll ask for wisdom to know His plan for me and for my family so I can pray according to His will for us. I even let my mind soar over the globe seeking how I can pray for those in other countries because I believe God cares for all of creation not just for those in America. The Lord will give you the words to pray.
So, get praying and keep us posted on how it goes. We'd love to hear from you. Matthew 7:7 says, "Ask and you will receive. Seek and you will find. Knock and it will be opened for you." Pray and then trust!
As a Christian for the past twenty-six years, I've concluded that prayer makes a huge difference in my own life and for the world at large. That said, I think we should take it a little bit more seriously than we sometimes do. We pray for thing-A then thing-B, and our mind races off to thing-C. Before long, we're confused about what we even asked for because we are babbling while cycling at the gym. And I'm not the type who says prayer has to be done in a cathedral with a head covering either. But I think we make it a little bit too lackadaisical at times. We fit it in like it's a chore, rather than slowing down to sit with the Lord.
Here are three guidelines to pump up your prayer-life:
First, keep it simple. Rather than rambling on and on about every single person you've ever met or about every worry that fills your mind multiple times, ask the Lord to meet those needs, and then move on. This shows that you trust Him. It's not to say that He doesn't appreciate the squeaky wheel, asking again and again non-stop. But don't you think He heard you the first ten times? Instead of lingering on the never-ending requests, move on to praising God and thanking Him for His limitless provisions over the years.
Second, keep it real. Most of us realize that God knows our thoughts and concerns before we even think them. But still, we hold back during our prayer time because we think we can hide from His presence. As a Christian, you know He resides in your heart so wherever you go, He's right there with you. Plus, He does want to hear from you, all that's on your mind. And btw, in the first point, I never meant that we shouldn't bring all of our concerns to the King of Kings. I simply meant we should pray them to Him and then wait on His timing for their fruition. So go ahead and tell the Lord that you're stressed about your job or about your kids' future. Share your own health concerns with Him too. This honesty evidences a relationship between the two of you. And it shows that prayer is personal!
Third, keep it spirit guided. Sometimes I don't even know what to pray for so I'll just ask the Lord to press His thoughts and concerns onto my heart. I ask for guidance if there's someone I should be praying for in my extended family or amongst my circle of friends. I'll ask for wisdom to know His plan for me and for my family so I can pray according to His will for us. I even let my mind soar over the globe seeking how I can pray for those in other countries because I believe God cares for all of creation not just for those in America. The Lord will give you the words to pray.
So, get praying and keep us posted on how it goes. We'd love to hear from you. Matthew 7:7 says, "Ask and you will receive. Seek and you will find. Knock and it will be opened for you." Pray and then trust!
Labels: Christian, guide-line, prayer
Comments:
<< Home
Thanks so much for the wisdom and practical encouragement on prayer. It's right on point and very uplifting.
Post a Comment
<< Home
