Sunday, January 27, 2013
Hamster Wheel
After rereading a large portion of the book of Ecclesiastes from the Bible, I'm convinced more than ever that life is really just one big hamster wheel. Don't you feel like you're striving for the same thing day after day after day after day, ad nauseum? The difference as a Christian is that I get to struggle day after day with God's grace. It's always there, covering me with HIS love and acceptance.
But sometimes, I feel like I have to earn it. Or I feel that I should have learned my lesson by now so somehow--- HIS grace has run out. But the truth is, God's grace remains steady with a full supply to all who call upon HIS name. I think of how hard I try to get it right as a wife, as a mom, as a friend, as a writer... and of how often I feel like I'm totally blowing it.
That is when it's time to soak in God's goodness and mercy instead of focusing on my own constant supply of idiosyncratic shortcomings. But how? Well, naturally--- by spending time with HIM. That's when HE restores me so I can be more like HIM for the world around me.
Whether it's chasing after a plethora of publishing dreams, trying to be more patient with my kids, or more supportive as a wife--- it all comes down to the same answer: JESUS! He is always enough! He will always give wisdom! He will always pour out HIS forgiveness! He always supports our gifts being used and blessed---in HIS timing!
I hope you find HIS peace today because it is available to you! IF YOU CALL UPON HIS NAME, THE NAME THAT RESTORES, THAT HEALS, THAT LOVES, THAT GIVES YOU SO MUCH MERCY---YOU SHOULD HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO BE JOYFUL EVERY WAKING DAY!
Happy Sunday! Happy joy! Happy Jesus--- to all!