Monday, June 01, 2009
Mugs
Each eclectic mug we sip our coffee or tea from has a story to tell. If mugs could talk, we would hear such amazing tales of old. Some mugs reflect such poignant memories from the past. Do you remember the time I sat with Billy over that cup of English tea? It was a beautiful ceramic one decorated with pansies, chrysanthemums, and light pink ivy geraniums. Oh, what a conversation that was, and the tea was delightful with just the right amount of honey in it. I didn’t really know much about the War until I sat next to her on that rainy afternoon.
It was quite amazing really. Her husband flew a mail carrier over the Himalayas and his plane engine went out during one of his flights. The plane soared down for thousands of feet, like a great eagle with its wings clipped. And all of a sudden, as if an angel from heaven intervened, the plane’s engine kicked in, and her husband, Cub, was alright. It makes no sense, why that memory means so much to me, given that I wasn't even born yet when that event took place. Somehow when she told that story, I felt like I was there, a part of that audacious dive into death's cold grip. What a comeback to spring into life once again, to have a second chance. Would you like a refill on your coffee? Sorry Mom, it's still brewing, it'll be just a few more minutes.
That reminds me of my red and pink poinsettia mug. Do you know which one I’m talking about Mother, the faded one with the permanent coffee stain around the top? Do you remember the time you brought me some fresh squeezed orange juice in that mug because we were all out of glasses in the cupboard? Well, it was reasonable given that my third had just been born. Oh, she was so tiny and it was such a special time for you to be there helping out. That orange juice really hit the spot.
My body and spirit were so tired, even too tired to sleep; my mind was stirring with a whirlwind of thoughts and my body ached throughout. You helped me so much during that visit. I’ll never forget the laundry you folded; oh, weren’t their little socks so tiny? The home-cooked meals were scrumptious and you even got outside and picked some fresh apricots off of our tree. I’ll never forget how you read to our other two kids and how you made them feel so valued during the transition of yet another little one in the house. You gave your time and your physical energy, but you also just listened to my joys and concerns. I’ll never forget that wonderful glass of hand-squeezed orange juice, in my faded floral mug of all places. I never would have thought of adding a squeeze of lime to it. It was delicious.
Oh and then, there’s my chipped and faded Santa mug, the one with the big fluffy beard and the jovial smile. Remember our first childhood Christmas away from home, how we flew up to Washington to visit Grandma and Grandpa for the holidays? It was so cold compared to sunny San Diego; the crisp air filled my lungs with alertness and vivacity. After Sissy and I got unpacked, we decided to go outside exploring. It was frightfully chilly, but with so much adventure on the horizon, the cold had to be momentarily dismissed.
After seeing several deer and some beautiful blue jays, we decided to head back to Grandma's humble home. Crackling was heard from the antique fireplace while their cat Fluffy was asleep on the arm of the blue corduroy sofa. Grandma saw us coming and before we could sit down, she put a cup of warm hot cocoa into each of our hands. She even included those miniature marshmallows, the multicolored ones that I still love. I’ll always cherish this Santa mug from Grandma. I really miss her Mom.
Wow, that smell is wonderful. It sounds like the coffee is done brewing, so I’m going to go and get myself a fresh cup. Would you like a refill in yours? Is this mug new? I’ve never seen one quite like this. This one belonged to Great Grandma Grace? It sounds like she was a pretty incredible lady. I’m not sure if I could have raised eight kids on my own, let alone in the Midwest before there was electricity and running water. Oh, tell me some more about her adventures when she was overseas with the Red Cross. I really like that one about how she met Great Grandpa Arnold. It’s so humorous, it doesn’t seem quite possible. Are you sure you’re not adding in a few creative details to make it sound more entertaining? Wait, don’t start until I’m back with the cream and sugar, I want to hear every word.
It was quite amazing really. Her husband flew a mail carrier over the Himalayas and his plane engine went out during one of his flights. The plane soared down for thousands of feet, like a great eagle with its wings clipped. And all of a sudden, as if an angel from heaven intervened, the plane’s engine kicked in, and her husband, Cub, was alright. It makes no sense, why that memory means so much to me, given that I wasn't even born yet when that event took place. Somehow when she told that story, I felt like I was there, a part of that audacious dive into death's cold grip. What a comeback to spring into life once again, to have a second chance. Would you like a refill on your coffee? Sorry Mom, it's still brewing, it'll be just a few more minutes.
That reminds me of my red and pink poinsettia mug. Do you know which one I’m talking about Mother, the faded one with the permanent coffee stain around the top? Do you remember the time you brought me some fresh squeezed orange juice in that mug because we were all out of glasses in the cupboard? Well, it was reasonable given that my third had just been born. Oh, she was so tiny and it was such a special time for you to be there helping out. That orange juice really hit the spot.
My body and spirit were so tired, even too tired to sleep; my mind was stirring with a whirlwind of thoughts and my body ached throughout. You helped me so much during that visit. I’ll never forget the laundry you folded; oh, weren’t their little socks so tiny? The home-cooked meals were scrumptious and you even got outside and picked some fresh apricots off of our tree. I’ll never forget how you read to our other two kids and how you made them feel so valued during the transition of yet another little one in the house. You gave your time and your physical energy, but you also just listened to my joys and concerns. I’ll never forget that wonderful glass of hand-squeezed orange juice, in my faded floral mug of all places. I never would have thought of adding a squeeze of lime to it. It was delicious.
Oh and then, there’s my chipped and faded Santa mug, the one with the big fluffy beard and the jovial smile. Remember our first childhood Christmas away from home, how we flew up to Washington to visit Grandma and Grandpa for the holidays? It was so cold compared to sunny San Diego; the crisp air filled my lungs with alertness and vivacity. After Sissy and I got unpacked, we decided to go outside exploring. It was frightfully chilly, but with so much adventure on the horizon, the cold had to be momentarily dismissed.
After seeing several deer and some beautiful blue jays, we decided to head back to Grandma's humble home. Crackling was heard from the antique fireplace while their cat Fluffy was asleep on the arm of the blue corduroy sofa. Grandma saw us coming and before we could sit down, she put a cup of warm hot cocoa into each of our hands. She even included those miniature marshmallows, the multicolored ones that I still love. I’ll always cherish this Santa mug from Grandma. I really miss her Mom.
Wow, that smell is wonderful. It sounds like the coffee is done brewing, so I’m going to go and get myself a fresh cup. Would you like a refill in yours? Is this mug new? I’ve never seen one quite like this. This one belonged to Great Grandma Grace? It sounds like she was a pretty incredible lady. I’m not sure if I could have raised eight kids on my own, let alone in the Midwest before there was electricity and running water. Oh, tell me some more about her adventures when she was overseas with the Red Cross. I really like that one about how she met Great Grandpa Arnold. It’s so humorous, it doesn’t seem quite possible. Are you sure you’re not adding in a few creative details to make it sound more entertaining? Wait, don’t start until I’m back with the cream and sugar, I want to hear every word.
Comments:
<< Home
Warm, cozy, your writing made me stop to think of all the things I remember from so long ago....like your little leg that always hung over the side of the bed--even when you were only 2 pounds 14 ounces. Wow. What a gift!
Love,
Mom
Love,
Mom
I always think of the "Big Hug Mug". I actually allowed some people at my SD office to use this one. They are now enjyoing "the big hug". It makes me smile as I pass their desk and see them sipping form it ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home

