Wednesday, July 08, 2009

 

To Caff or not to Caff

"To be, or not to be, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles..." and yadda-yadda-yadda. Shakespeare was going somewhere deep with his philosophical question of existence in Hamlet. My question as a mom of three small kids is way more simplistic: "To caff or not to caff?" I've gone back and forth you know, switching between caffeinated coffee and decaf. I've concluded that I really do need at least one cup of strong caffeinated coffee to make it through the morning. By the afternoon, I'm pretty good with a tall glass of ice-filled coke.

Let's face it Moms, how else are we supposed to get through the day without the caffeine? When I try to switch back to decaf, I feel like my brain goes on vacay to some tropical island, which sounds pretty pleasant except for the fact that I do have to watch over my wild and mischievous kids. The interesting thing is that my husband noticed a personality change when I stopped drinking so much coffee between graduate programs. I think he liked the "Decaf" me better, but like I said, it's pretty much a non-negotiable.

The other person who encourages me to limit my caffeine intake is my doctor. Drinking too much caffeine adds a lot of stress to our bodies, as evidenced by the low that hits around eleven o'clock when the body and brain cry out for a refill. It can also act as a diuretic, which could be good or bad depending on your gastro needs. Caffeine can of course make you a bit jittery, which has personality changing implications, but if it makes you more animated and enthusiastic, that could be positive, right? For some of the active thinkers out there, also known as "worriers," caffeine can also keep you awake at night. But, if you're like most moms, you're so tired that you can hardly even keep your eyes open by the time you collapse into bed around midnight.

The real question is whether or not caffeine makes you happy. For me, it's not possible to quit drinking caffeinated coffee at this point in my life. I'm happier when I drink it because I feel like myself and I feel more energetic. Coffee's bold aroma makes me sing a joyful tune as I hear the drum-beat of my coffee maker in the morning. Those first few sips of hot brew are gentle reminders that a clean slate comes with each new day. Forget the stresses of yesterday and drink in the miracle of a brand new beginning. Just like most things in life, you have to weigh the pros and the cons. For me the pros for drinking caffeinated coffee outweigh the cons, so I'm going to keep on brewing the caff. To caff or not to caff is up to you, but for me, it's a no-brainer.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?