Thursday, September 03, 2009
Some Much Needed Rain
Sometimes, you just need a little touch from nature to get through the long week. It seems like an unexpected bill shows up every afternoon, or a new sickness, or a random household item that needs fixing. It's a rogue pair of eyeglasses gone missing, a busted kid's shoe, or a garage door that breaks unexpectedly. It also seems like there's enough drama at any given moment to power a small city. The kids seem to enjoy testing my (already questionable) sanity on a daily basis. No-one's quite adjusted to the new back-to-school schedule yet, so crankiness pops up earlier as well. But, yesterday, the perfect thing happened.
It rained. I couldn't believe it. I'd seen the foreboding thunder-heads out to the east. I'd even prayed, "Oh, please help it rain!" But, being in Southern California in the middle of summer, it seemed like overly-optimistic thinking. My oldest son told me that he also shot up an enthusiastic petition for rain, which was sweet because he doesn't even like the rain. A little bit later, I looked outside and saw that my patio was wet. I assumed the hose had been left on. But, when I stepped outside to water my fruit trees, to my wondering eyes, what should appear, but some awesome and steady raindrops. Not only rain, but thunder as well. It felt like I was standing in the middle of a fun Midwestern storm, which took me back to the freshly cut grass smell of Illinois, where I studied as an undergrad.
What a treat. It's funny how such a small and short-lived rain storm could lighten the load that had burdened me earlier in the day. Sometimes, we just need a little break from the stresses that entangle our hearts and minds. For me, this rain storm was a much needed respite from my internal stresses within. I picked up my two school-aged kids and we twirled and sang in the rain. Since it was so warm out, they hopped into their swimsuits and we played outside until the rain stopped. It was refreshing to the thirsty landscape in our area and also satisfying to my soul.
While we can't make it rain, although I've done my fair share of rain dances over the years, we can certainly implement small measures to minimize our daily pressures and responsibilities. A vanilla ice cream cone helps me to feel like a kid again and for only 69 cents at McDonald's right now, it's hard to pass up. A quick phone call with a long distance friend lifts some of the weight as well. It reminds you of your past and your youth and keeps you focused on where you're headed too. Sometimes sharing quality time with my kids at the kitchen table with a fun craft makes me feel more relaxed as well. While I could be doing hundreds of other tasks, it instantly takes me to what's really important...my family. All the other stuff gets done eventually.
I don't know what you're going through today and if you love or hate the rain. But, I hope you got some joy out of our recent rainfall. If you missed it, you could always shut your eyes and run through the sprinklers. For a thunder reenactment, you could download some thunder tunes from iTunes. If that doesn't lower your stress, try the ice cream regimen or that overdue phone call with a buddy. If all else fails, break out the old magazines, scissors, and some glue to create a memorable collage with your little ones. Today's masterpiece contains pictures that represent me: an avocado, a topiary vine, trail mix, azaleas, a dog, wine, violets, red roses, orange juice, a tomato bush, berry pie, and hydrangeas.
What do you do for a break from it all? What pictures fill your own personal collage? Share your thoughts here.
It rained. I couldn't believe it. I'd seen the foreboding thunder-heads out to the east. I'd even prayed, "Oh, please help it rain!" But, being in Southern California in the middle of summer, it seemed like overly-optimistic thinking. My oldest son told me that he also shot up an enthusiastic petition for rain, which was sweet because he doesn't even like the rain. A little bit later, I looked outside and saw that my patio was wet. I assumed the hose had been left on. But, when I stepped outside to water my fruit trees, to my wondering eyes, what should appear, but some awesome and steady raindrops. Not only rain, but thunder as well. It felt like I was standing in the middle of a fun Midwestern storm, which took me back to the freshly cut grass smell of Illinois, where I studied as an undergrad.
What a treat. It's funny how such a small and short-lived rain storm could lighten the load that had burdened me earlier in the day. Sometimes, we just need a little break from the stresses that entangle our hearts and minds. For me, this rain storm was a much needed respite from my internal stresses within. I picked up my two school-aged kids and we twirled and sang in the rain. Since it was so warm out, they hopped into their swimsuits and we played outside until the rain stopped. It was refreshing to the thirsty landscape in our area and also satisfying to my soul.
While we can't make it rain, although I've done my fair share of rain dances over the years, we can certainly implement small measures to minimize our daily pressures and responsibilities. A vanilla ice cream cone helps me to feel like a kid again and for only 69 cents at McDonald's right now, it's hard to pass up. A quick phone call with a long distance friend lifts some of the weight as well. It reminds you of your past and your youth and keeps you focused on where you're headed too. Sometimes sharing quality time with my kids at the kitchen table with a fun craft makes me feel more relaxed as well. While I could be doing hundreds of other tasks, it instantly takes me to what's really important...my family. All the other stuff gets done eventually.
I don't know what you're going through today and if you love or hate the rain. But, I hope you got some joy out of our recent rainfall. If you missed it, you could always shut your eyes and run through the sprinklers. For a thunder reenactment, you could download some thunder tunes from iTunes. If that doesn't lower your stress, try the ice cream regimen or that overdue phone call with a buddy. If all else fails, break out the old magazines, scissors, and some glue to create a memorable collage with your little ones. Today's masterpiece contains pictures that represent me: an avocado, a topiary vine, trail mix, azaleas, a dog, wine, violets, red roses, orange juice, a tomato bush, berry pie, and hydrangeas.
What do you do for a break from it all? What pictures fill your own personal collage? Share your thoughts here.
Labels: encouragement, motherhood, rest
Comments:
<< Home
Words that represent me:
Lemons, Lemonade, vineyards, purple morning glories, coffee beans, Aqua Di Gio perfume, Farmer's market on a Sat morning, the splash of my pool water as I dive in, sunshine, laughter, Sade playing softly in the background while I cook, a purple cell phone, my guitar, the cacophany of dogs barking, willow trees, misty pink lipstick, laughter with friends, peaceful moments w/ my great Big God!!! Love you twinks. Thanks for your encouragement through your writing!!! Keep writing out loud!!! Dani
Post a Comment
Lemons, Lemonade, vineyards, purple morning glories, coffee beans, Aqua Di Gio perfume, Farmer's market on a Sat morning, the splash of my pool water as I dive in, sunshine, laughter, Sade playing softly in the background while I cook, a purple cell phone, my guitar, the cacophany of dogs barking, willow trees, misty pink lipstick, laughter with friends, peaceful moments w/ my great Big God!!! Love you twinks. Thanks for your encouragement through your writing!!! Keep writing out loud!!! Dani
<< Home
