Wednesday, April 07, 2010

 

Clearance Item

Clearance items are great. Don't you just love finding a killer deal? When I see those three magical words: "Seventy-five percent off," I'm in shopping heaven. But, as moms, we can sometimes feel like we've become the clearance item. So, it's time for no holds barred. Are you ready to spoil yourself a little bit?

But, it's easier said than done because you're buying shoes for the kids, a new collar for the dog, and groceries for everyone and their best friend's sister. It's easy to put yourself last when you're stressed out pinching the copper out of every single penny filling your faded old purse.

But, ladies, it's time to close your eyes to all those sale signs! You must treat yourself right. Go off the deep end! Spoil yourself silly! Okay, not every single minute of every day, but at least once a month. Remember that you are not a clearance item. You are special and you've been working your you-know-what off for the past several years, so remember to live like a queen every once in awhile. Here's how you get started.

First, buy something that makes you feel delicate and feminine. Go to your favorite clothing store and buy that shirt that makes you feel like spring has arrived, the one with frilly ruffles or lace. Or, visit your favorite shoe store and get a new pair of heels that make you feel hot...the totally impractical fire-engine red ones. They're also the ones that will send you to the couch with a sprained ankle, but who cares? You only live once!

Second, plan a lavish meal. You can finally break out your China and those fancy wine glasses that you got as a wedding present twelve years ago. Go for that extravagant lobster meal that you've been salivating over since the January issue of your favorite cooking magazine. Why not? You are worth it.

Get a full-bodied bottle of wine and a decadent dessert as well. Cook some tasty side dishes and go for that amazing sauce you discovered at that specialty food store four months ago, even if it means a second shopping trip just to get it. And you're not allowed to freak out once you discover that it would have been cheaper to eat out at the Ritz Carlton; every once in awhile, you've got to play the part of the international gourmet chef.

Third, pay to get your hair done by a really cool hair stylist. This is an area where I used to squeeze the green out of my dollar bills because I had long hair. So, it was easy to go six months without getting my hair done. And with three small kids, quite frankly, it was tempting to go nine months without caring for my naturally brown locks.

Now, I'm putting some mula into that part of my self-care because I've realized that it makes me feel more energetic and more valuable. Even if it means I have to skimp elsewhere to make up for the added expense, it is worth the effort. Today, I saw my hair stylist and went lighter on my color. Guess what? I love it! All the spring flowers are bursting forth with color and now I am as well!

I still love amazing deals, but it's good to be reminded that I'm not a clearance item. One of my favorite bargain deals was a set of rusty-blue latte mugs from a Crate & Barrel outlet store. They were only 97 cents a piece and they've lasted me like ten years without a single scratch.

In contrast, on the full-price side, I recently paid $75 for a couple of under-garments, where I intentionally avoided the sale-rack. The result was that I felt like a famous person...for those twenty-five minutes of shopping...anyways.

Share some of your favorite bargain deals and a few of your full-price splurges as well. We'd love to hear from you! :)

Labels: , ,


Comments:
First of all... your new hair is adorable. I love the lighter highlights!
Second: I sometimes think I miss the big picture in a store. I head straight to the sale racks. I base all my meal decisions on what's "least expensive on the menu". I'm not even brand specific on anything (except crest mouthwash, as it's my absolute favorite).... I don't even look in a catalog to see what interests or appeals to me.... I just look for the red writing, indicating "sale price".... I need to, at times, buy something for full price... to make myself feel special.
Thirdly... I guess the one thing I also splurge on is a good bottle of wine at least once a month. Each sip tastes richer, just because I know it's costing me like 50 cents a sip!
Keep "writing out loud".
Dani ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?