Friday, April 16, 2010

 

Darkness

When you're in a tunnel of darkness, you reach for the light as if you can already see it... or you close up in terror to protect yourself from imminent danger. You feel blind, unable to move.

When it's pitch black, you can't fathom the distance around you, except for its immensity and its vastness. You don't know how long the darkness will hold you captive in its evil grip. However, when your eyes capture a glimpse of the light ahead, you gain perspective and the obscurity begins to fade away. Depth perception is regained. You can see the world around you. You begin to hope.

When we go through tough spiritual or emotional experiences, we can feel we are falling indefinitely through a dark abyss. We try to cling to the truths we know as the deep chasm engulfs our hearts and minds. We grasp for air... but we can not feel it in our lungs. We look for the light, but we simply can not see it. We hope for a better perspective to save us from the pain that crushes us. But, we can't find it.

Is there true hope amidst the darkest hours? Many people feel that there is no true hope in this life. So, they turn to alcohol, drugs, medications, an affair, or even plain old busyness... to numb their pain. Unfortunately, those things only offer a temporary and dissatisfying source of relief. The giver of light tells us that He offers true hope: from the Bible and through the Holy Spirit.

The Bible says, "In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness..." (John 1:4+5). Subsequently, Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). The Bible anchors us during uncertain times, especially when our feelings deceive us.

The Holy Spirit also offers His peace: "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. PEACE I leave with you; my peace I give you...Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (26-27). The Holy Spirit guides us when we can't find our own way. Even though it is hard to surrender to Him, we must turn to Him in faith.

It's hard to turn to the Bible and to trust God's Spirit when we feel like God just doesn't care. Sometimes, we don't believe that He even hears us. Or, it seems like we're simply going to get a busy signal forever, since we don't see signs of an escape! So, we just give up on God.

But, as my five-year-old reminded me this morning, God is the ONE to turn to. First, she asked me at the top of our stairs, "What's this story about (meaning our lives)?" "Is it about God?" she inquired. Then, a few minutes after we navigated our way downstairs, she hid a book behind her arms and asked me if I'd read her a story.

As I sat down on the couch next to her, she revealed the book she was hiding. It was my Bible...the one book I did not feel like reading. But, once we opened it up together, I was reminded of its power to give light, life, and hope...through the Holy Spirit. This morning, my daughter, Grace, helped me to see the light when my heart was trapped in darkness.

After we read for a bit, I explained how the words written in red were the words that Jesus spoke. She then grabbed her "Build-A-Bear" teddy bear that has a hole in his back. She removed the cloth shaped heart from the bear. Then, she placed it on Jesus' words with her whole hand over the heart. It was her way of trying to show Jesus that she loved Him, by giving Him her teddy-bear's pretend heart. If only we could show our faith so simply and so resolutely!

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Hang in there bubba. I love the way you describe your emotions in this one! I too, have felt this way many times.
Hang onto God's promises.
Heb 11:1.

Grace is an angel. How sweet!
Love you tons. Dani
 
I'm continuing to pray for you, Di. I love how you know God's word so well - it's obvious you're passing along that love to Grace, too. You are being blessed through her by the blessing God is giving through you, my friend.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?