Saturday, September 04, 2010

 

In the Zone...

While working out at the gym last night, any onlooker would have seen me and said, "She is in the zone." You know when your music is too loud even for a teenager and your gaze is straight forward with the focus of a hunter? You want to stop but you can't because your mind is steady upon the task at hand.

My goal was to run four miles averaging 8 min 30 second miles. I also spent ten minutes on the elliptical machine and ended with ten minutes of heart pumping exercise on the bike. Over all, it was a great workout. My shins were killing due to some nagging shin splints, but I was there to work out and that's what I did.

Any time I start to feel wimpy due to pain or fatigue I just think about Gail Devers and her three Olympic championships amidst her battle with Graves' disease. She could have given up, but she didn't. Most people don't work out as hard as I do and I'm no Gail Devers, that's for sure.

But, I guess when I'm at the gym or out running a course, my goal is to get the most out of that precious time while I've got it. I'm also training for a few specific races coming up in our area. But mostly, I just feel a personal call to do my best while I'm able-bodied to actually work out and run the race ahead of me.

As I run my heart out or cycle like a maniac, I occasionally wonder if I'm living this sold out for my faith in God. Sometimes, it's easy to get so committed to our physical pursuits, such as our economic investments, our health endeavors, or our professional goals, that we fix our eyes on this temporary life rather than upon eternity. Isn't it the truth though?

When we do actually sit down to rest our eyes upon the Lord, we frequently aren't able to slow down. We are so focused on the tasks around us, that we can not be still for spiritual pursuits. But, here's the thing: if we can not rest before the Lord to meditate on His goals for us, then all the other stuff is done in vain.

No matter how much money you earn, no matter how physically fit you are, and no matter how brilliant your credentials make you, if you do not spend daily time in the presence of our Creator, your life's accomplishments are meaningless.

It's not that your efforts won't produce anything; the fact is that they will. But, you won't net eternal fruit from those goals if you don't first lay them in front of the alter before the Lord.

What does this look like? Sitting before the Lord doesn't have to be fancy; in fact it can be very practical. It requires focusing your spiritual lens to see through His eyes. Here's an example. At the start of your day, just pray a quick prayer to set the plethora of tasks ahead of you before God's agenda first.

Say, "God, whatever you have for today, that's what I want to be about." Ask God to use all things for His good. Ask Him to direct your steps so you can be about His eternal plan amidst your daily activities.

Some people would recognize me at the gym as the gal who sweats like a fountain. Others would say, "She's that weird woman who can actually be seen lifting up her hands in praise to God while she's running."

While some would label me as strange, I simply can't pass up that moment to praise God when an awesome worship song comes up on my running mix. Can you ignore the chance to praise the Lord who has given you everything you have, even the eyes you use to read this post?

As you pray throughout the day as well, ask God to guide your steps toward His purposes by giving you ears to hear His call. Ask Him to lead you to that conversation with a co-worker. Ask Him to show you how you can pray for that fellow mom who is going through way too much right now.

Begin to see other people the way He does. Ask Him to give you compassion for that person who always seems grumpy or difficult. You see, when we live for eternity, we actually interpret things differently, as God does.

So, challenge yourself to live out the fruit of His spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22)).

Let's get in the zone people... in the zone for the King. Let's fix our eyes upon His agenda, upon His will for our lives, upon His schedule for our day. In the midst of all the things we have to do, let's not forget to take some time out out to set our hearts right before Him.

Then, no matter what you're doing: working out, adjusting your checkbook, packing your kids' lunches, or logging in to your work computer, you'll be investing for eternity. Zone in fellow believers. This life is just a blink. Then, we're off to worship our God for eternity!

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Dianne, you were so IN THE ZONE with this entry - one of my favorites ever! I hope you consider submitting this one to some Christian magazines! And dang, girl! 8:30 miles!?! You leave me in the dust!!! ;) But seriously, a great post that will be on my mind for awhile!
 
This is spot on what the pastor was talking about in church last Sun. He was asking us to focus on "now" and on the very fact that we are "alive". He was challenging us to slow down and take time out to speak to God and to meditate on the "now". I love your writing. Keep writing out loud. Dani ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?