Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Just Go For It (Modified from May 2009)!
"Just go for it" is my new motto. Why not? Life is short, so there's no reason to hold back from your dreams, passions, and your god-given talents. If you were to die tomorrow, wouldn't you want to know that you gave this life your best shot in every area?
In psychological terms, one observes a response mechanism called "fight or flight." If you are faced with a threatening situation, you either stay there and fight or you put on your track shoes and flee the scene. I occasionally experience this with surfing.
Awhile back, when a huge set of waves surged in, I had two choices: to fight and catch one of the big gnarly looking waves or to duck-dive under it at its calm point, escaping the thunderous crash.
Since my surfing skills are sub-par, when I'm faced with a large set, I usually go for the flight option. The reason I decide to chicken out is because I realize I'm gonna get hurt if I try to take on a set that's more awesome than my skill-set (which happens a lot).
In life though, you sometimes have to fight! We frequently shy away from certain situations because avoiding imminent danger seems like a rational choice. But, what if by fleeing the scene all the time you are actually suppressing a big part of who you are?
You can't always be an observer. Sometimes you just have to charge it, even when the outcome means possible failure or even physical or emotional pain. For those glorious waves that I do catch, the adrenaline gets pumping and I feel empowered and alive.
Maybe you’ve always wanted to start a band. But, you're too old, right? You’re too busy deciding between tuna casserole and Hamburger Helper to pursue that pipe dream, huh? I think it’s time to call the babysitter so you can head out to the karaoke bar. If not now, then when?
What about that beautiful butterfly tattoo you've been contemplating for the last decade? Why haven't you done it? There won't ever be a better time than the present and the longer you wait, the more rolls you’re gonna have to deal with. Remember that your life is just a blink.
Don’t end up at the nursing home wishing you could tell your grand-kids how cool bungy-jumping was back in the day. Take your loved one on a hot air balloon ride. Dance your heart out at that upcoming wedding or holiday party. Sign up for that karate class or those scuba diving lessons. If you don’t go online to sign up today, you probably won’t ever do it.
If you have a significant other, be thankful that you do. You should kiss him like you really mean it. Don't let him guess how you feel about him, as if you’re unsure. What if tonight was your last kiss? Don’t settle for a little peck on the cheek. Go for it!
Truth be told, as a parent of three young kids, sometimes my most exciting decision of the week is which pizza place to call for take-out. Occasionally, it's which movie to rent from Redbox.
Many of us feel like we went from teenagers to thirty-somethings over night. We’re in shock about the wrinkles and the achy joints. But, here’s my challenge to you: Do one thing for yourself today that celebrates your passion!
Before you go to bed tonight, start a blog. Submit that book idea to your editorial contact. Order something fancy on the menu instead of a bean and cheese burrito. Rent that motorcycle for the weekend. Book that flight to Italy that you’ve been postponing for the past decade. “Just go for it,” while you still can!
In psychological terms, one observes a response mechanism called "fight or flight." If you are faced with a threatening situation, you either stay there and fight or you put on your track shoes and flee the scene. I occasionally experience this with surfing.
Awhile back, when a huge set of waves surged in, I had two choices: to fight and catch one of the big gnarly looking waves or to duck-dive under it at its calm point, escaping the thunderous crash.
Since my surfing skills are sub-par, when I'm faced with a large set, I usually go for the flight option. The reason I decide to chicken out is because I realize I'm gonna get hurt if I try to take on a set that's more awesome than my skill-set (which happens a lot).
In life though, you sometimes have to fight! We frequently shy away from certain situations because avoiding imminent danger seems like a rational choice. But, what if by fleeing the scene all the time you are actually suppressing a big part of who you are?
You can't always be an observer. Sometimes you just have to charge it, even when the outcome means possible failure or even physical or emotional pain. For those glorious waves that I do catch, the adrenaline gets pumping and I feel empowered and alive.
Maybe you’ve always wanted to start a band. But, you're too old, right? You’re too busy deciding between tuna casserole and Hamburger Helper to pursue that pipe dream, huh? I think it’s time to call the babysitter so you can head out to the karaoke bar. If not now, then when?
What about that beautiful butterfly tattoo you've been contemplating for the last decade? Why haven't you done it? There won't ever be a better time than the present and the longer you wait, the more rolls you’re gonna have to deal with. Remember that your life is just a blink.
Don’t end up at the nursing home wishing you could tell your grand-kids how cool bungy-jumping was back in the day. Take your loved one on a hot air balloon ride. Dance your heart out at that upcoming wedding or holiday party. Sign up for that karate class or those scuba diving lessons. If you don’t go online to sign up today, you probably won’t ever do it.
If you have a significant other, be thankful that you do. You should kiss him like you really mean it. Don't let him guess how you feel about him, as if you’re unsure. What if tonight was your last kiss? Don’t settle for a little peck on the cheek. Go for it!
Truth be told, as a parent of three young kids, sometimes my most exciting decision of the week is which pizza place to call for take-out. Occasionally, it's which movie to rent from Redbox.
Many of us feel like we went from teenagers to thirty-somethings over night. We’re in shock about the wrinkles and the achy joints. But, here’s my challenge to you: Do one thing for yourself today that celebrates your passion!
Before you go to bed tonight, start a blog. Submit that book idea to your editorial contact. Order something fancy on the menu instead of a bean and cheese burrito. Rent that motorcycle for the weekend. Book that flight to Italy that you’ve been postponing for the past decade. “Just go for it,” while you still can!
Labels: family, life, parents, passion
Comments:
<< Home
LOVE IT! Makes me want to book the "sky diving" adventure! I'm trying to get a group together. You in? Heeeeeeee ;) Dani
Post a Comment
<< Home
