Tuesday, October 19, 2010

 

Essay on "Corduroy"

We all know the beloved classic, Corduroy, by Don Freeman. The one with the red cover with the cute little bear wearing green overalls. You've read it to your kids oodles of times; and while it teaches a poignant message, it doesn't especially touch you personally until the umpteenth time you've read it.

I'm not sure why this day's run through about the little bear made me so reflective. I guess I could say that I've felt overwhelmed as a mom lately and that it was nice to take a break and sit down to read to my kids. Or, you might say that there's so much stress lately with illness in our extended family, car problems, and too many activities to keep up with.

I resonated with Corduroy's "bright eyes" today... I could relate. I too wanted to be loved... to be accepted... to be taken home and hugged just as I was. I wanted my flaws to be over-looked. As he trotted through the department store in desperate search of a replacement button, you could tell he would do anything to repair his lost identity.

We too can feel that sense that we're flawed, unwanted, and unexceptional compared to those around us. Today, I drove my husband's used compact car since our van can't get worked on until tomorrow. As I saw all the shiny new metal drive past me with symbols of significance, I thought of how small I felt inside of my little silver Toyota.

It makes me wonder if owning a brand new Beamer, Mercedes, or Volvo would really make me feel more valuable. I think the answer is "No." But, it's one thing to grasp something cognitively and quite another to own it emotionally. So, when I got home, I took my shoes off... I listened to the rain falling down. I sat down with two of my kids and read this gentle and convicting book: Corduroy.

As a Christian, I am convinced that my value and purpose come from the Lord. He has made me in His image. My worries are His worries if only I'll hand them over to Him. He cares for me, as He cares for the flowers of the field. And though it's odd to compare Jesus to a juvenile female protagonist, the similarities are overwhelming.

Remember how she said to her mom, "Oh, Mommy!...Look! There's the very bear I've always wanted." When she was told "Not today, dear..." by her mom, she didn't give up. She simply had to return home first to collect the sufficient funds from her piggy-bank to purchase the sweet brown bear the following day. If only Corduroy had known that he was so incredibly special from the very moment they first locked eyes.

Instead, he went in search of a button to repair his overalls, so he could fit in with the rest of the toys. He felt inferior to their pristine condition and felt he had to fix himself before his worth could be restored.

In the end, the little girl bought him, fixed him, and provided him with a home that far surpassed his greatest expectations. Lisa said to him, "I like you the way you are...but you'll be more comfortable with your shoulder strap fastened." Then, she began to sew a button on his overalls.

Isn't that how the Lord works with us? He knows our every need, but sometimes we have to wait. We have to rest in His truth, even while He seems so slow to respond. We have to endure while He repairs our hurts, our weaknesses, and our inadequacies.

After reading Corduroy, I felt renewed, restored, and significant. I hope that you can slow down to take a moment with this great literary work. Though written for young ears, it might minister to your "adult" ones as well.

Share your thoughts on this beloved children's book. What's your favorite part? We'd love to hear from you. :)

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Wonderful post, hon. Your ability to connect every day life and children's things to profound spiritual truths is a gift. And it's a wonderful gift that you share it with us.

Love,

Hubby
 
Dianne. This is quite possibly my favorite post of yours ever. Beautifully done, my friend.
 
I have not read this book, but I can relate to its message that you've shared. I have been struggling with the "oh, if I could just lose that 20 pounds I've been trying to lose for 3 years now... I'd feel confident in my skin". What if I never lose that 20 pounds? I have to decide to love myself today - the way God loves me today... or I'll be dissatisfied in my skin for "several more days". True, I'd feel healthier if I shed the 20 pounds that weigh me down... but in the meantime, I pray for God's love to shower upon me... to re-define my self worth in Him... not in the imagery of this world. Thanks for your inspiring thoughts. Danielle
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?