Tuesday, January 25, 2011
The sun rises anew
No matter how stressful life gets, the sun ALWAYS rises anew. It's such a great reminder that we are not alone. Even if an emotional serpent has me by the throat, it can not thwart the sun's warmth.
God's word is like that too. It's always there for us. It soothes us with truth and encouragement, no matter what we face! In a world where chaos and injustice run rampant, we can turn to the Bible to find the answers.
But, do the sun's heat and the Bible's presence mean that God is good? Even though I struggle to see that at times, I think the answer is "Yes, they do." It is by God's mercy that the sun's radiance lights our planet without burning us into flames.
Our earth's axis at 23.5 degrees to the sun is a miracle in and of itself. We don't spin off into space like we would if it were off of that by even one millionth of one degree. It's this huge friendly reminder from the Lord like, "Hey, I see you guys and I'm taking care of you."
His Word does that too. He didn't have to give it to us. We could have been left for dead, clueless, and even more ridiculous than we already are.
Imagine the confusion of life with no rules and no guidance. But because of God's grace, He filled the Bible's authors with some super deep and amazing insights over the years.
So instead of walking blindly, we get to read about God's plan for our lives, no matter how insane they get. Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."
As I've struggled in my own whirlwind of darkness lately, I've been challenged about God's goodness. Do I really believe He is good, you know when I'm not at church singing worship songs with hundreds of other believers?
What about God's goodness when I wake up with really upsetting thoughts in my head? What about when I feel really down and the feelings don't go away for a long time? Is He still good, even then?
My friend reminded me earlier today... that He is good, no matter what we're going through. Praise God for those cozy chairs at Starbucks cuz she had to listen to me cry and moan about this and that for two hours.
Through her plethora of struggles in life she said she has always clung to the reality of God's goodness. She hasn't lost that hope no matter how challenging her family's circumstances have been. And while she didn't judge me at all for questioning God's goodness, she encouraged me through her testimony.
My twin sister also reminded me in a text today of Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." That's hard for me on most days... to be sure of what I hope for???
Do I really hope for heaven and all that spiritual stuff on most days? Probably not. I get caught somewhere between wishing for emotional wholeness and the American dream.
Happiness! An end to all emotional struggles! Financial security! Health and safety for our three kids! The list goes on ad nauseum. And I certainly don't always focus on those fluffy angel-feathered wishes: to be holy, to be ready for heaven, to be used by God, etc.
And then... certain of what I can't see? Not sure I nail that one either. I'm afraid of the dark, so if I can't see something, it just freaks me out. Not seeing the afterlife... frankly, that drives me nuts. Of course, I want to end up there, but the thought terrifies me.
It's hard for me to see my emotional and spiritual development over the years as well. Has the Lord really done a work of restoration and wholeness in me since I accepted Christ twenty-five years ago? If I depend upon my feelings, I might not feel like God has done very much at all.
But, if I take Hebrews 11:1 to be true, then He must be doing something. I just have to be sure that I'm hoping for what He hopes for. And of course, I must be certain of that hope, even when I can't see the result of it at this exact moment.
So, what do you think about God's goodness? Do the sun's constancy and the Word of God give you hope in His goodness? Share your thoughts here. We'd love to hear from you, even if you disagree. Keeping it real! :)
God's word is like that too. It's always there for us. It soothes us with truth and encouragement, no matter what we face! In a world where chaos and injustice run rampant, we can turn to the Bible to find the answers.
But, do the sun's heat and the Bible's presence mean that God is good? Even though I struggle to see that at times, I think the answer is "Yes, they do." It is by God's mercy that the sun's radiance lights our planet without burning us into flames.
Our earth's axis at 23.5 degrees to the sun is a miracle in and of itself. We don't spin off into space like we would if it were off of that by even one millionth of one degree. It's this huge friendly reminder from the Lord like, "Hey, I see you guys and I'm taking care of you."
His Word does that too. He didn't have to give it to us. We could have been left for dead, clueless, and even more ridiculous than we already are.
Imagine the confusion of life with no rules and no guidance. But because of God's grace, He filled the Bible's authors with some super deep and amazing insights over the years.
So instead of walking blindly, we get to read about God's plan for our lives, no matter how insane they get. Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."
As I've struggled in my own whirlwind of darkness lately, I've been challenged about God's goodness. Do I really believe He is good, you know when I'm not at church singing worship songs with hundreds of other believers?
What about God's goodness when I wake up with really upsetting thoughts in my head? What about when I feel really down and the feelings don't go away for a long time? Is He still good, even then?
My friend reminded me earlier today... that He is good, no matter what we're going through. Praise God for those cozy chairs at Starbucks cuz she had to listen to me cry and moan about this and that for two hours.
Through her plethora of struggles in life she said she has always clung to the reality of God's goodness. She hasn't lost that hope no matter how challenging her family's circumstances have been. And while she didn't judge me at all for questioning God's goodness, she encouraged me through her testimony.
My twin sister also reminded me in a text today of Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." That's hard for me on most days... to be sure of what I hope for???
Do I really hope for heaven and all that spiritual stuff on most days? Probably not. I get caught somewhere between wishing for emotional wholeness and the American dream.
Happiness! An end to all emotional struggles! Financial security! Health and safety for our three kids! The list goes on ad nauseum. And I certainly don't always focus on those fluffy angel-feathered wishes: to be holy, to be ready for heaven, to be used by God, etc.
And then... certain of what I can't see? Not sure I nail that one either. I'm afraid of the dark, so if I can't see something, it just freaks me out. Not seeing the afterlife... frankly, that drives me nuts. Of course, I want to end up there, but the thought terrifies me.
It's hard for me to see my emotional and spiritual development over the years as well. Has the Lord really done a work of restoration and wholeness in me since I accepted Christ twenty-five years ago? If I depend upon my feelings, I might not feel like God has done very much at all.
But, if I take Hebrews 11:1 to be true, then He must be doing something. I just have to be sure that I'm hoping for what He hopes for. And of course, I must be certain of that hope, even when I can't see the result of it at this exact moment.
So, what do you think about God's goodness? Do the sun's constancy and the Word of God give you hope in His goodness? Share your thoughts here. We'd love to hear from you, even if you disagree. Keeping it real! :)
Labels: Bible, God, goodness, sun
Comments:
<< Home
For what it's worth, one of the main ways that I know God's goodness, grace and love.....is through you.
Love,
Hubby
Love,
Hubby
"There is no warmer moment than one spent basking in the sunlight of my daughter's smile." Your light shines even in the darkness. God is using you in such a powerful way! I feel badly when I know that others are feeling in the dark--especially those I love. It's in those times, however, that I'm certain God is holding us tightly in His arms and only His footsteps appear. God bless you Dianne. Your faithfulness is what keeps your light shining brightly for all to see and share. Thank you. Love you, Mom
God's goodness.....
*It's constant
*Never changing
*Not dependent upon anything we do or don't do
*It sustains
*It's peace in a maddening world
*It's truth
*It's what drives us to want to become more like Him
*It's beyond comprehension
*It's hope
*Gives assurance that we will be okay because He is Good
*Indescribable
Knowing God is good doesn't necessarily make circumstances easier or even better, but what it does do, is increases my hope, and that hope is what sustains me and makes me want to make it better.
love you,
Lorri
Post a Comment
*It's constant
*Never changing
*Not dependent upon anything we do or don't do
*It sustains
*It's peace in a maddening world
*It's truth
*It's what drives us to want to become more like Him
*It's beyond comprehension
*It's hope
*Gives assurance that we will be okay because He is Good
*Indescribable
Knowing God is good doesn't necessarily make circumstances easier or even better, but what it does do, is increases my hope, and that hope is what sustains me and makes me want to make it better.
love you,
Lorri
<< Home
