Wednesday, March 02, 2011

 

Excerpt #6, page 35/36, Stream of Consciousness

“Did you hear me mention how we both liked to play black-jack and how we used to ski together up at the lodge during the holidays? You seem a little bit distracted you know…” Jadan said with a concerned look.
“Oh, sorry. I am a bit distracted. But I totally do want to hear about your dad. I’m sorry to seem disinterested because I’m totally not. I just want to figure out a way to catch up with Jen and to finish this article sometime today,” I said in a stressed out tone.
“Seriously, no problem. I totally understand and… the truth is… even I want you to finish that damn article so you can start on your book. That’s what I can’t wait to read. It’s cool having an author as a friend. Maybe you’ll be famous someday and I can say that I know you,” he chuckled in a friendly manner.
“Oh sure, mock me why don’t you.”
“No, I can tell that you are the type who’s going to make it Renee, for sure,” he consoled.
“Well thank you Jadan. I’m gonna find a spot to park my stuff,” I told him.
“Hey, this spot’s open, right here next to me if you want it,” he motioned with his hand while moving some of his stuff out of the way.
“Okay, this does look pretty cozy, but I’m gonna wear my earphones so I don’t get too distracted sitting next to you. I do actually have to get some work done.”
“No, we’re cool. I’m gonna wear mine too. ACDC has been paused for way too long,” he sighed.
“Nice. I bet that’s totally calming while you roll the numbers in your head while offering your faithful clients such abundant monetary wisdom,” I joked while setting down my laptop and my drink.

I looked up and caught eyes with Jen. She smiled over at me and motioned like she’d be over in just a second. Jadan already had his tunes going and I had started mine as well. I turned on my laptop and tried to settle down so my mind could get to work. But there was no way I could get anything done until I’d chatted with Jen for a few minutes. Maybe if I got up to use the restroom she’d come over to meet me there. It was worth a shot.

I got up and scooted to the restroom. And I was right. Right after I did my business and opened the door, Jen was there waiting for me with a hug and an apology. We totally chatted and made up in less than three minutes. We were best friends again and I felt so relieved. I could finally get my article finished. The dolphin essay had to come to an end. Plus all that postmodern crap was starting to irritate me. I just wanted to get my check for the piece and move on to my own book, check or no check. My editor’s word was good enough for now. If I could get a few chapters done, she’d look it over and let me know if they could back it for the coming year or not.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?