Monday, April 11, 2011

 

Excerpt #13, from pages 82-83 from "Stream of Consciousness"

After we’d all unpacked our things, we decided to head to one of the ship’s restaurants for some fresh Mexican cuisine. I got some lobster tacos that were divine. The sauce alone could have been bottled and sold for ten bucks a pop at Sprout’s or at Fresh & Easy. I’d have to put in a suggestion on their blog when I got back. Jen got steak empanadas just to be different and Jared ordered a cilantro chicken burrito with cream sauce. He obviously wasn’t on a diet. Eric loved his chipotle shrimp tacos and Jadan and Molly enjoyed their Mahi Mahi tostadas with melon margaritas. Since I’d already had a glass of bubbly, which I don’t usually drink, I decided to play it safe with a beer. Bohemia was the order of the day since we were headed down south to Mexico. It had such a rich and comforting flavor, which reminded me of my college days while studying abroad in Mexico City.

Talk about culture and adventure. The Pyramids were amazing, as was the Palacio Nacional with a plethora of Diego Rivera’s murals. The National Ballet was inspirational and the castle in Chapultapec was so European. I loved Frida Kahlo’s museum in Coyoacan as well. To think I got to stand in her old house. I remember that there were tons of wild kittens running around in the garden area that day. Man, she had a tough life. I feel bad that she couldn’t have any kids of her own. But it made her a passionate artist, that’s for sure. That part of town had the best churros and chocolate I’ve ever eaten. I should catch up on my Spanish dictionary over the next few days. I don’t want to sound like I've never studied Spanish before, especially since I used to teach it prior to having my kids and starting my writing career.

After dinner, we all decided to head to one of the pools. We opted for the private one that adjoined our first class row of rooms. The perks were really starting to line up. I’m so glad we included Molly and Jadan on this brilliant adventure. Molly said she was going to lie down because she’d acquired a headache. But Jadan was still game for the Jacuzzi. And Jen and Jared were on board with a post-dinner swim as well. But Eric said he was ready to hit the hay since he hadn’t slept much the week before. So it was a little bit awkward for me to stroll over with the two love-birds and Jadan. But my neck was feeling tweaked from the four plus hours on the plane and a decent bit of driving and standing around. I definitely needed to get some heat therapy for my nerves as well.

Watching Jadan hoist himself out of his chair onto the side of the Jacuzzi was a bit awkward for me. Just like our initial encounter at Starbucks, I didn’t want him to think I was staring at him. Even though he transferred himself so gracefully, it must have taken lots of practice and lots of patience to get used to this new lifestyle after the accident. First, he locked the wheels of his chair. Then, he kept one hand on the chair as he pressed the other hand onto the ground to transfer the rest of his body to the ground before sliding into the Jacuzzi. He was totally confident though and even made a comment to me about how it would get less bizarre to see him getting in and out of his wheelchair as time went on. He was so direct about things. It was eerie how he could read my mind. Jen and Jared were over in the pool, so this gave me and Jadan a chance to chat.

“So, you starting to relax yet?” Jadan asked me as I dangled my feet atop the hot water.
“Not really. I’m not very good at relaxing. I carry my stress with me, even to the Caribbean,” I chuckled as I rolled my head from side to side.
“The water feels great. You should just get in Renee. It’s really not that hot,” he informed me lightheartedly.
“I will. I don’t adjust as easily to hot water as I used to in my twenties. I’m just getting used to it first,” I said flicking a bubble with my big toe.
“No worries. So what’s Eric up to? He didn’t feel like a late night swim, huh?”
“Well he actually loves the water, but he was pretty tired from a crazy schedule this past week and from all the traveling today.”
“Hopefully everyone will wake up nice and rested and ready for some fun tomorrow,” Jadan said as he rubbed his hands over his face while his feet floated to the surface.
“My gosh, your feet are just doing their own thing, huh? Those are pretty cool water shoes Jadan. I want some for myself,” I laughed in a friendly way.
“Well since I can’t use my legs or my feet, I have to let them do their own thing when I’m in the water. Or I can just hold them down with my arms. And I try to keep my shoes on so it's easier to get back up into my chair. It keeps my feet from slipping around and makes it more manageable to keep my feet tucked in close to my body. I hope that doesn’t weird you out… but at least I got you to laugh for the first time since we’ve been on the ship,” he said with a smirk.
“Awww, you’re sweet. Don’t worry, I’ll get into the swing of things and start to chill out. I’m glad that Eric doesn’t judge me for my depression and my anxiety issues,” I said feeling kind of shy and embarrassed.
“Depression, huh? That sucks. Well, I’ve been there at times too. But try to let that fade away this week. Whatever weighs you down, just let it go, you know, for a few days anyways,” he said bonking me on the head like he was lecturing his little sister.
“Okay, Mister Fearless, nothing gets you down, amazing paraplegic millionaire,” I said trying to knock him over where I thought he wouldn’t be as tough here in the water.
“Not a chance. I may not be able to use my legs, but I’m a tank when it comes to upper body strength. Didn’t I tell you I just completed the LA Marathon last month?” he reminded me.
“I think you mentioned it once or twice last week while we were at Starbucks,” I said moving back over toward the steps.
“Are you getting out already?” he wondered.
“I think I might head over to the pool for a quick dip. I’m gonna check on the love-birds and see how this trip is starting out for them,” I said trying to grab for my towel up on a nearby chair.
"Hey real quick, I just want to remind you that whatever happens in life, when you fall down, you just have to get back up. That shows that you're bigger than the problem. For me, I lose my balance and frequently fall down, but I always get back up," he said showing me his sentimental side.
"Thanks Jadan. I'll remember that, especially when I feel trapped inside my own head like there's no way out of the darkness," I said pointing towards his water bottle.
“If you could grab my bottled water up there on the table, that would be awesome,” he kindly requested while rubbing the symbolic arm-tattoo he'd told me about a few weeks after we met.
“No problem Jadan. Let me know if you need anything else. Just holler,” I said handing him his water and then diving right into the pool for a refreshing wake up call.
“How’s the water?” he asked taking a few gulps of ice water.
“It’s nice, way warmer than I would’ve thought. It’s in the low 90s for sure. Hopefully there’s a cooler lap pool somewhere else on the ship. I was really hoping to swim some laps in the morning. I’d definitely overheat in this bathtub,” I said laughing as I looked over at Jen and Jared juggling their feet on the edge of the pool together like two newly weds.

I heard my phone buzz and leaped out of the pool to see who it was. It was about ten thirty our time, so that meant it was like seven thirty San Diego time. So it was probably my mom putting the kids on the phone to say goodnight. But I was wrong. It was a text message from Eric.

Got the room all ready for some amazing romance. Foot massage awaits u. How long must I wait for my beautiful mermaid? Not so tired anymore. Couldn’t fall asleep without u by my side.—hubby :)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?