Friday, July 29, 2011
Excerpt # 19, from STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS, p. 121-122
***Some names have changed, so if you've been reading along with previous excerpts, please note the following:
Josh changed to Jake
Dianne changed to Grace
Danielle changed to Katelyn/Katie
***These previous names return as characters in my female protagonist's book, except that Dianne becomes Diana.
---------------------------------------------------------------
That evening, we ordered pizza and my mom packed up to head home. I tried to convince her to stay one more night, but she’d already been at our house for over a week and really missed Jack. I even tried to bribe her with a glass of Kendall Jackson Merlot, which was our favorite to drink in one another’s company. But she still loaded up her bags into her silver Camry and headed back to the desert. I’m not sure why I cried when she drove away. I knew we’d see each other again soon enough, but I really missed her. Getting her for one day before and after our cruise just hadn’t been enough.
After dinner and some quick baths, we all crashed like a ton of bricks. Eric and I still weren’t totally adjusted to being back on San Diego time and just needed to recoup from our trip. The kids were pretty tired as well and the house was dark by ten o’clock. Nugget started her snoring around seven-thirty and lay at the base of Jake’s wooden bunk-bed, nestled into the edge of his Optimus Prime comforter that slinked over onto the tan carpet. Grace’s room echoed stories of battles and adventures until she finally closed her eyes around nine-forty-five. Katie’s room was quiet right at eight-thirty like her brother’s.
Drop offs went fairly smoothly the next morning. At least I didn’t have to encounter any crazy moms out there trying to run me over. So, there was no need to use any of my very limited amount of sign-language or any kid-safe euphemisms today. The route to Starbucks was pretty relaxed as well. I wore my favorite faded blue jeans that made me feel skinny even though I was totally bloated from PMS. My red button down top with black flowers made me feel spritely as well and highlighted my amazing tan. Even though the weather hadn’t been too hot, we did so many outdoor activities that the sun had infused its way into my soft skin.
I must have been missed because Molly and the gang asked how my cruise had been. Word must have gotten out that Jadan had gone on the cruise as well, which caused some minor confusion. I had to clear up some local gossip and inform everyone that Stephenie had also gone and that they were actually married now. You know how coffee-talk gets all out of proportion unless you clear the air as soon as you get wind of it? As I looked around, I saw Jadan hard at work, laptop open, already trading like crazy, but no Kristin anywhere.
She and Jared must be sleeping in today. Since she freelanced like I did, she set her own schedule and Jared’s salesman calendar was pretty open as well. They must be extending their honeymoon, how nice. I was happy for them, but just a wee-bit jealous. My life was back in full speed, no extended vow-renewal-honeymoon for me. Aw well, it felt good to be back in my own head drinking strong Starbucks coffee from my red tumbler. I needed to find a spot and noticed an open one next to Jadan. So I walked over and put my stuff down by his black, athletic looking wheelchair. After he got off of his phone-call, we started to chat.
Josh changed to Jake
Dianne changed to Grace
Danielle changed to Katelyn/Katie
***These previous names return as characters in my female protagonist's book, except that Dianne becomes Diana.
---------------------------------------------------------------
That evening, we ordered pizza and my mom packed up to head home. I tried to convince her to stay one more night, but she’d already been at our house for over a week and really missed Jack. I even tried to bribe her with a glass of Kendall Jackson Merlot, which was our favorite to drink in one another’s company. But she still loaded up her bags into her silver Camry and headed back to the desert. I’m not sure why I cried when she drove away. I knew we’d see each other again soon enough, but I really missed her. Getting her for one day before and after our cruise just hadn’t been enough.
After dinner and some quick baths, we all crashed like a ton of bricks. Eric and I still weren’t totally adjusted to being back on San Diego time and just needed to recoup from our trip. The kids were pretty tired as well and the house was dark by ten o’clock. Nugget started her snoring around seven-thirty and lay at the base of Jake’s wooden bunk-bed, nestled into the edge of his Optimus Prime comforter that slinked over onto the tan carpet. Grace’s room echoed stories of battles and adventures until she finally closed her eyes around nine-forty-five. Katie’s room was quiet right at eight-thirty like her brother’s.
Drop offs went fairly smoothly the next morning. At least I didn’t have to encounter any crazy moms out there trying to run me over. So, there was no need to use any of my very limited amount of sign-language or any kid-safe euphemisms today. The route to Starbucks was pretty relaxed as well. I wore my favorite faded blue jeans that made me feel skinny even though I was totally bloated from PMS. My red button down top with black flowers made me feel spritely as well and highlighted my amazing tan. Even though the weather hadn’t been too hot, we did so many outdoor activities that the sun had infused its way into my soft skin.
I must have been missed because Molly and the gang asked how my cruise had been. Word must have gotten out that Jadan had gone on the cruise as well, which caused some minor confusion. I had to clear up some local gossip and inform everyone that Stephenie had also gone and that they were actually married now. You know how coffee-talk gets all out of proportion unless you clear the air as soon as you get wind of it? As I looked around, I saw Jadan hard at work, laptop open, already trading like crazy, but no Kristin anywhere.
She and Jared must be sleeping in today. Since she freelanced like I did, she set her own schedule and Jared’s salesman calendar was pretty open as well. They must be extending their honeymoon, how nice. I was happy for them, but just a wee-bit jealous. My life was back in full speed, no extended vow-renewal-honeymoon for me. Aw well, it felt good to be back in my own head drinking strong Starbucks coffee from my red tumbler. I needed to find a spot and noticed an open one next to Jadan. So I walked over and put my stuff down by his black, athletic looking wheelchair. After he got off of his phone-call, we started to chat.
Labels: excerpt # 19, Stream of Consciousness
