Thursday, July 09, 2009
Euphemisms
Being a good example is challenging but important, especially since our kids frequently model themselves after our behavior. They listen with the keen hearing of a bat, except of course when it's time to come downstairs for dinner. Since our children generally tune in to most of what we say, we need to be careful to use appropriate words in front of them.
Yesterday, I was handing my kids their ritualistic bedtime snack. You know how your kids always develop that stomach-eating starvation right before bed? Like they're going to die if they don't get a snack immediately. We were right on schedule for a two-hour bedtime routine and after a long day, I was at my wit's end.
After carefully handing a banana to my youngest daughter, she dropped it on the carpet. Feeling quite impatient and totally tired, I retorted, "Dammit" to which my daughter repeated "Dammit." It's not that this word is especially horrific or anything, but when it comes out of a two-year-old's mouth, it's pretty sobering. It does sound so much cuter when she says it though.
As role-models, if we want our kids to use kind words, then we need to use them as well. If we don't want our kids to use foul language, then we too need to keep our mouths free of unpleasant verbiage. Of course we all blow it sometimes, like my response during the bedtime snack. I wish I would have chosen the euphemism and said "Dang it" instead, but I didn't.
We can all aim to do better, especially when a word slips out that's way worse than "Dammit." When our kids repeat inappropriate words, we need to take the time to discuss with them why they shouldn't use those types of words. We even need to share how we as parents are not supposed to say them either.
Kids hold us accountable by saying things like, "But you used that word the other day." Our best defense is, "You're right, I did say that and Mommy was wrong too." By keeping it real, our kids will see that we are authentic and just trying to do our best. When we make mistakes, we need to apologize for them and then move on, aspiring to do better the next time.
Yesterday, I was handing my kids their ritualistic bedtime snack. You know how your kids always develop that stomach-eating starvation right before bed? Like they're going to die if they don't get a snack immediately. We were right on schedule for a two-hour bedtime routine and after a long day, I was at my wit's end.
After carefully handing a banana to my youngest daughter, she dropped it on the carpet. Feeling quite impatient and totally tired, I retorted, "Dammit" to which my daughter repeated "Dammit." It's not that this word is especially horrific or anything, but when it comes out of a two-year-old's mouth, it's pretty sobering. It does sound so much cuter when she says it though.
As role-models, if we want our kids to use kind words, then we need to use them as well. If we don't want our kids to use foul language, then we too need to keep our mouths free of unpleasant verbiage. Of course we all blow it sometimes, like my response during the bedtime snack. I wish I would have chosen the euphemism and said "Dang it" instead, but I didn't.
We can all aim to do better, especially when a word slips out that's way worse than "Dammit." When our kids repeat inappropriate words, we need to take the time to discuss with them why they shouldn't use those types of words. We even need to share how we as parents are not supposed to say them either.
Kids hold us accountable by saying things like, "But you used that word the other day." Our best defense is, "You're right, I did say that and Mommy was wrong too." By keeping it real, our kids will see that we are authentic and just trying to do our best. When we make mistakes, we need to apologize for them and then move on, aspiring to do better the next time.
Labels: euphemisms, kids, parents
Comments:
<< Home
Really good thoughts. It's so true. I think it's better in life to "keep it real" with kids and w/ other adults too... Euphemisms seem to "sugar coat" the truth... like when a company says "we're economically cutting back"... why don't they just say "you're fired"?!? Keep "writing out loud"! Love ya - Dani
Post a Comment
<< Home
