Monday, August 17, 2009

 

Cast your Cares on the Lord

The awesome verse from Psalm 54 says to "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall" (verse 22). It's hard for me to believe that he really wants to handle all of my worries. Does he really care about my son's asthma and my daughter's bloody noses? What about my other daughter's allergies; can they really matter to God? King David seemed to think that the Lord did care, so why is it so hard for me to believe the same truth here in the twenty-first century?

It's difficult to fathom that God would care for so many piddly little requests. I make so many petitions and then it seems like a lot of them just don't get answered. But, maybe I'm missing the point. When I pray for a need to be met and it doesn't happen right that instant, I need to reset my prayer request upon God's time-table. Maybe he's not ready to deliver me yet from certain struggles. Perhaps God is trying to increase my faith by waiting until the last minute to provide for a particular financial need. It's even possible that he's doing a mighty work of conviction in the person who recently harmed me.

As parents, we come to God with so many requests. We're hoping that the most important ones get answered before the emergency sets in. Also, we're not totally sure why God makes us wait so long for certain answers. Why can't he see how that sickness is making us depleted and hopeless? Why doesn't he see that a few extra dollars would help us to avoid using our credit card this month? If God would just change that other person's heart, then it would be easy. If only God could walk in our footsteps for a day and see how hard it is just to get through each day.

That's the point though, God did walk in our steps. He gets it. That's why he gave his son for us on the cross. We didn't deserve it but he saw that we simply could not do it on our own. We needed help, so he came through for us. When I begin to whine and feel sorry for myself, all I need to do to get rid of my cry-baby attitude is to picture Jesus up on the cross. Since he died for me and you and the neighbor across the street and the little boy at the market and the grandma at the picnic, there's no-one exempt of his hope. On second thought, can everyone find hope? God is not pushy. He is not rude. He is a perfect gentleman. If you're willing to see his sacrifice and accept it, he lovingly bestows his grace upon you. If you don't want to see it, he certainly doesn't bully you into it. Similarly, God won't force you to cast your cares on him. You have to make that choice as well.

I'm still not totally sure why God doesn't do certain things on my time-table. Even after years of praying, certain requests go unanswered and seem to be fairly hopeless. That's where I give up. I can't see the goodness in certain futile situations. But, I know that God is loving and that he has my best interest in mind. Paul said in Romans chapter eight "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (verse 28). Since I know that I love God, I can be sure that he is working things out in my life for good. This even includes the stuff that doesn't feel good or cozy or comfortable. I'd rather do without certain inconveniences and discomforts; however, if God promises to be looking out for my well-being, I can know that his plan and timing are best.

It's not easy to cast our cares on the Lord. It can feel like the phone signal is busy or jumbled up with interference. I guess that's where faith comes in and our trust in God's word. Have you had a hard time giving your worries over to God? If so, share your experience here. Let me pray for you as well.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Love this one too ;)
My favorites... Matt 6:34, Jer 29:11, Heb 11:1, Phil 4:13, Prov 3:5-6.
Keep "writing out loud"... you have a gift!
Hugs - Dani
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?