Tuesday, August 04, 2009

 

Pray Without Ceasing

To "pray without ceasing"...what does that even mean? I know the Apostle Paul was a good guy and he wouldn't mislead us unintentionally, but his words from the Bible confuse me (found in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 and in Ephesians 6:18).

As women, we tend to worry a ton. Unfortunately, praying becomes a common extension of that worry. So, when we are called to "pray without ceasing" it can seem like a stressful charge. To worry without ceasing...how can that be what God wants?

I've taught my kids to pray with thankful hearts. Because of this, we form our prayers out loud by saying, "Thank you God that you care for this or that specific thing." The problem is that it's easier to pray that way in front of my kids, but on my own, I'm like "Pleeeeeease God, help with this or that."

During my own private prayer-time I frequently beg like a whiny brat for what I think I need the most. Most of these petitions are honorable ones; however, my attitude becomes weary and repetitive like a child asking for some cotton candy at the circus.

I find it especially difficult to "pray without ceasing" when I don't see any results. What about the sour family relationship that refuses to mend itself no matter how hard I try to put it back together? What about practical needs like finances, our kids' health, or even our own health? If God cares so much, then why is he so slow?

I know we can't change Scripture, but I've decided for my own spiritual development to rethink Paul's words. Since the instruction to "pray without ceasing" makes me mindful of all of my troubles, I'm going to retrain myself to read it as "trust without ceasing."

This means re-evaluating what I get out of prayer. If prayer is mainly a place I go to "get" something in return, I may continue to be disappointed. In contrast, if I focus the time on Who I am with, by addressing the time reverently with praise and adoration, I feel it will lead to trust. As I learn to believe that God is trustworthy, then I think my prayer-time will conclude with peace instead of strife.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
This is SO TRUE. You are reading my mind as this is what I've been thinking a lot about lately.
Keep writing - I love it ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?