Monday, November 15, 2010

 

To become like I am?

As my youngest daughter and I drove away from the big-kid drop-off, she asked me a thought provoking question. She inquired, "Mommy when I grow up, will I get to be like you?"

I stopped for a second before answering...thinking to myself and then vocalizing accordingly, "Yes honey...in all the good ways." It makes me ask, "Do I really want her to become like I am?"

Isn't that the sweetest question ever? To think that my 4-year-old wants to be like I am is the most humbling compliment to my entire career as a mom.

And yet, its innocence makes me reflect upon my deficiencies as well. While most people would say that I'm a great mom, those who know me best would admit that I've got my fair share of faults as well.

All this to say, it makes me think. Sometimes we get so caught up in our daily routines of controlled chaos, racing around town like we're on the Indy 500 circuit. Many of us rarely slow down to digest this deeper thought about the kind of parent that we are.

What about you fellow parents and grandparents? Do you want your kids to be like you? How do you speak when you are angry? How do you show your kids you are proud of them? Do they know with certainty that you love them no matter how well they do in school or in sports?

Do you want your kids to emulate your lifestyle and your choices? Are you a forgiving person? Are you a relaxed parent or a total stress-case? If you're like me, you are something in-between? Do you put on the brakes to spend some quality time with your little munchkins?

I want to pause and answer these tough questions because my kids are worth it. When I think about my daughter wanting to "be me" someday, it makes me long to be a better mom today.

I want to spend more meaningful time with my kids. I also desire to focus less on the inconsequential details of life, like a perfectly clean house or an immaculate yard. I'd love to be more patient and loving with my family as well.

A simple question can act as a powerful motivator for a changed life. Hopefully this basic challenge hits home with you today as well. Share some of the attributes you'd like to improve upon. Any advice from the older moms out there? Share your thoughts. We'd love to hear from you. :)

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I sure hope my girls grow up to be like you.

Love,

Hubby
 
This can be utilized in other relationships too. "What kind of friend/wife/family member... am I". Great thoughts! Dani
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?